Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Goose Neck and Leg Bands!

First Goose Neck and Leg Bands!

First day out for me this year and took a buddy out for his first time goose hunting. Did lots of scouting to get us in the right spot but today the majority of the birds decided to use the other end of the field, but we still managed to scratch some. Shooting started at 645am, and we called it a morning at 800am with 4 shy of our 2 man limit, and left the rest alone and went in for breakfast. The best part of the day was my first shot of the season got me goose with a collar and a leg band! Hopefully a good sign of things to come.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First Goose Neck and Leg Bands!

Nice shooting! Congrats on the banded bird. Would be neat to see the history. Cool if you could update at that time!

Quote Originally Posted by last light View Post
    Nice shooting! Congrats on the banded bird. Would be neat to see the history. Cool if you could update at that time!
    Banded in July in the nanaimo esturary like the other 199. lol. Not a lot of history to those but trophies that I chase around all season!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Cool! Thanks for the quick reply. I'm just curious as to how these birds move around. Sometimes they are from far away and sometimes they're local birds such as this one.

Most of the banded mallards that I've shot in the past were killed in Abbotsford and Chilliwack, but they had been banded in northern Alberta.

Quote Originally Posted by last light View Post
    Cool! Thanks for the quick reply. I'm just curious as to how these birds move around. Sometimes they are from far away and sometimes they're local birds such as this one.

Most of the banded mallards that I've shot in the past were killed in Abbotsford and Chilliwack, but they had been banded in northern Alberta.
    The white neck bands are new to Vancouver island trying to study local birds. Campbell river did 200 the year before last and Nanaimo did 200 this year.
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

The goose was indeed tagged in Nanaimo River Estuary on June 27 2016.

Congratulations on both the band and all the other birds.

What's your meat program?
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Congrats Junior, looks like ya had a great opener with a bonus bird to boot! I'm sure LP1 is gonna post up some pics of his opener soon! K

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    Congrats Junior, looks like ya had a great opener with a bonus bird to boot! I'm sure LP1 is gonna post up some pics of his opener soon! K
    I don't post pics here anymore except for maybe an end of the season wrap up.

I'm on facebook if you have it though!

Nice shooting Longshot!

For everyone's interest, there is a website set up relating to the Nanaimo bandings: viu.ca/gooseproject. One of the pages within the site has a list of when and where each goose was banded. It's pretty basic - they were banded in four different roundups in Nanaimo, but it still breaks it down. There is also a collar report form on the site in which you can report the harvest or sightings of collared geese (it's meant for geese with white collars and black lettering with codes ranging between 000P - 199P only). They can also be reported conventionally through the US Bird Banding Lab like any other bands/collars. We would like to generate as much data as possible, so please report the sightings and/or harvesting of any of these birds!

We haven't received reports of any geese travelling far and wide yet. The most interesting to date was goose 003P, which was reported at the mouth of Roberts Creek in Sechelt, only to be seen in the fields off Jinglepot Road in Nanaimo about 10 days later. We've had three other mortalities: one was shot near Coombs on opening day, one succumbed to an eagle attack on the Lantzville waterfront, and another was found washed up on the beach outside Departure Bay. To date, there are still approximately 60 of the 200 that haven't been reported anywhere.

Happy hunting!