Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Goose Neck and Leg Bands!

Re: First Goose Neck and Leg Bands!

Reported the collar to the VIU site, mine was #166P

Congratulations Gio! I know of 3 white collar geese shot in Pitt Meadows a couple years ago. My buddy got one of them, it was from Parksville.
    I didn't go out until Sunday and had a single come in early and one nice flock a half hour later. Buddy missed the single 3 times!, but I dropped it! Started the year off right by tripling on geese for the second time ever. Just one l just one loner Monday and I'm off to a great start going 5/5 to start this season! Our corn won't be off for another week so we will miss what would have been a really good opportunity in our areas. Heritage days should be excellent though!
    Buddi doing what she does best!

Yes thats definately a good start Dan! I also forgot to mention we had a couple large flocks of immature pintails come into the deeks early in the morning. Isnt it early to see those!?

Wow, congrats on your hunt! Im planning to go there this friday, first time ever goose hunting, i'll be happy if i get one and happier if i dont get lost!

Started the year by dropping my first 6 with 6 shots! Ended up with 7 geese which is my best for this early opener. If our corn fields had been harvested we would have done very well.
    We saw quite a few pintail around here too. Seems to be a month or so early. Some nice flights of mallards already and I suppose that points to a pretty good hatch and survival this year.
    Really looking forward to the youth/heritage opener, looking like it could be the most successful one we've had!

Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    Yes thats definately a good start Dan! I also forgot to mention we had a couple large flocks of immature pintails come into the deeks early in the morning. Isnt it early to see those!?
    Buddi doing what she does best!

I went to the Nanaimo estuary Friday and Saturday. No a single goose flying over the discharge zone area. Lots of geese hanging out by the Nanaimo river by the reserve. Maybe in October I'll get lucky.

Here's an update on the Nanaimo banded birds for anyone who's interested:

In the past month 7 geese have been reported south of the border:
    - 1 in Custer, WA (Departure Bay banded)
    - 1 in Anacortes, WA (Departure Bay banded)
    - 5 in Cornelius, OR (Nanaimo Estuary banded)

There are still 37 birds that are unreported. Surprisingly we have yet to receive any reports of birds on the island south of the Cedar area. It'll be interesting to see what October brings!

The boys down in OR will make short work of them trophies. Haha
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    The boys down in OR will make short work of them trophies. Haha
    LOL roger that
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.