Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 31" + Draw Length

31" + Draw Length

Hey all, first time posting here. I'm looking to purchase a compound bow for hunting next season. After trying a few bows out, I've decided a 31" or 31.5 " draw length is needed.

Can anyone with experience recommend a solid bow or two with a draw length of at least 31" ?
    Even after looking at Cabelas and WSS I can only find one or two with a longer draw length.

Where do they hide bows for the taller guys hah

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 31" + Draw Length

My draw length is just under 32", I shoot an apa mamba xl 7. I love it, comfortable to hold and shoots fast. Talk to Ken at hardcore Archery in kelowna if you're in the area. I got mine in 2010

I use a pse vendetta xl, 32" draw 70lbs.
    They don't call it a vendetta xl any more but I do believe they still make a long draw now. I just don't know what it's called. You might want to say where you are located to get people to point you to the closest shop.

Is your plan to shoot fingers or will you use a release aid of some sort?

I believe PSE makes a bow called the freak max which is adjustable to 33", I shoot the APA and love it but for that draw length chances are you'll be putting in an order. APA will most likely get it to you within a few weeks but PSE might be a 6 week minimum. Better service with the Canadian made little guy.
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.” -John James Audubon

Thanks for the quick response. First time I've heard of APA, I'll check them out for sure.
    Id rather support a Canadian/small business than cabelas or wholesale. I went to Boorman's in New Westminster to try a few bows out. Shot a PSE BruteForce w/ 60lbs of draw. I'm going to try and make my way out to Big Game Archery in Abbotsford sometime this weekend. See what they have to offer, maybe learn a thing or two !

Also, Allan, I'm located in Vancouver.

Steveo, I'm planning on shooting with an aid.

Wayne at big game archery is very good at what he does, I would call ahead to see if he's around first. It's bow season and he's usually out hunting this time of year.

Just to be sure, did you use the release aid you are going to use when trying out bows. Are you going to use a string loop and was one on the bow you were trying out. When I went from shooting fingers to a release aid and a string loop I knocked a couple of inches off of my draw length that is why I ask.

I'll check to see if Wayne will be around the rest of the week. Thanks Allan

Steveo, all the bows I have tried out have been loop with wrist strap. Between wrist strap and handle release which would you suggest for a beginner ?

Quote Originally Posted by Workinirn View Post
    I'll check to see if Wayne will be around the rest of the week. Thanks Allan

Steveo, all the bows I have tried out have been loop with wrist strap. Between wrist strap and handle release which would you suggest for a beginner ?
    From what I remember about release aids, a wrist strap would be my preference and probably a caliper design. How tall are you out of curiosity?