Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! Broadheads hit 3" lower than field points

Re: HELP!! Broadheads hit 3" lower than field points

If they are hitting consistently just readjust your sight to match where the broad heads are landing. Easy as that. If the broadheads are inconsistent from arrow to arrow some tuning will be required. Seeing as the season kicks off tomorrow id pick my 3 most consistent arrows and adjust my sights for their flight. Not a ton of time to retune your bow and arrows.

Mechanicals are another option but depending who you talk to there's a definite love/hate for them.

I had the older guy, pretty sure he's the owner, at Hardcore archery check over the bow and tuning and everything and measured the draw weight when I was getting the new arrows setup and he didn't find anything wrong, the only thing I've adjusted since then is increased the bow weight, so with increasing the bow weight should I have adjusted the cams or anything else when I screwed the limb bolts in more? I didn't see this mentioned in the manual anywhere so I just turned the limb bolts in 1.5 turns each which according to the manual should be about 4.5 lbs (was 56lbs when at Hardcore so should be right around the 60lb mark now) and didn't touch anything else but maybe the manual neglected to mention needing to adjust other things at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by GetLethal View Post
    If they are hitting consistently just readjust your sight to match where the broad heads are landing. Easy as that. If the broadheads are inconsistent from arrow to arrow some tuning will be required. Seeing as the season kicks off tomorrow id pick my 3 most consistent arrows and adjust my sights for their flight. Not a ton of time to retune your bow and arrows.

Mechanicals are another option but depending who you talk to there's a definite love/hate for them.
    Yea, I might try returning the knock loop to its original position and adjust the sights/pins instead and see how it groups with them and go from there. I'm wondering if lowering the knock made the tuning worse and is what is inducing the wobble, looking at the alignment of the knock loop with the rest, the knock loop is quite a bit lower.

Just sight in with the broadheads. Don't make adjustments to anything but your sight. You can re sight for paper when the season is over. Trying to get broadheads to shoot where your field points do is like trying to find a sasquatch riding a unicorn. You hear about it, but you never see anyone prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    Yea, I might try returning the knock loop to its original position and adjust the sights/pins instead and see how it groups with them and go from there. I'm wondering if lowering the knock made the tuning worse and is what is inducing the wobble, looking at the alignment of the knock loop with the rest, the knock loop is quite a bit lower.
    your loop should definitely be slightly above level, I would return everything to the way it was before you started playing with it and just adjust the sight. As others have said, tune after the season and get it dialed. For now just make sure you have consistent broadhead flight and sight for those. Hell even if you just have one arrow flying perfectly, thats all you need

Personally I have never adjusted nocking points or the arrow rest after I am happy with arrow flight. If you are not happy with point of impact then adjust sights. For fixed blade broadheads, what you describe is fairly typical and what I usually do is sight in for broadheads and forget about poi for field points. At this stage of the game my bow is a hunting bow not a target bow and you can still target shoot just remember they will hit high. I have also gone from 125 grain field points to 100 grain broadheads to fix the difference in trajectory with success but sighting in with the broadheads you are going to use is really the way to go.

Ignoring your issues and just sighting in for your broadheads can be a bad idea if your arrows are leaving the bow at an angle. Straight arrow flight is best for accuracy and arrow penetration on an animal. Some pretty poor advice on here from guys who are probably shooting poorly tuned bows. Quick clean kills are what your after so take the time to do it right. As stated before paper tune your bow to see whats going on. There could be a few things out of whack causing your issues. If your in Kelowna at some point PM me and i can have a look at your bow if you like and help you figure out whats going on.

I shoot the same setup, same weight. Go see Dave at Backcountry Sports in Penticton and he will tune your bow properly and analyse your grip. After you leave your broadheads and your field tips will be hitting in the same spot.
    "if ya get to thinkin yer some person of some great importance, try ordering someone else's dog around"

Quote Originally Posted by donny.brooke View Post
    Ignoring your issues and just sighting in for your broadheads can be a bad idea if your arrows are leaving the bow at an angle. Straight arrow flight is best for accuracy and arrow penetration on an animal. Some pretty poor advice on here from guys who are probably shooting poorly tuned bows. Quick clean kills are what your after so take the time to do it right. As stated before paper tune your bow to see whats going on. There could be a few things out of whack causing your issues. If your in Kelowna at some point PM me and i can have a look at your bow if you like and help you figure out whats going on.
    What would you suggest if he buys arrows that already come fletched, cut fletchings off or can you paper tune with fletchings on.

I always paper tune with fletches on as thats how there used in the field but bare shafts work also. My buddy bare shafts when he paper tunes and it works for him. I think the OP may have an arrow spine issue if he has cranked his bow up since buying his arrows and 150 grain broadheads add alot of length to arrow overall compared to his field tips? Hard to diagnose this kind of thing over the internet!!! Can just throw out suggestions to him from our experiences.