Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! Broadheads hit 3" lower than field points

HELP!! Broadheads hit 3" lower than field points

So, got some new arrows this summer and have been practicing with field points and last week I decided to test my broadheads to make sure everything is good to go for the bow season starting Thursday. Well my broadheads are consistently hitting 3" low every shot. So I google it and read a bunch of bow forums the majority of which suggested it was just a tuning adjustment as broadheads exaggerate tuning/alignment issues and the fix was to adjust either the rest up or the knock loop down, so easy enough. I adjusted the knock loop down and got the broadheads hitting almost right on and thought "GREAT!" but then I tried the field points and now they are hitting 3" high!!! **** I also notice now the arrows with broadheads are "wobbling" a bit and not as consistent and I didn't notice the wobble before but it may have been there and just didn't notice but I don't think I would be getting as good consistent shots/groups as I was before if they were wobbling?

My setup is a Bow Tech Assassin set to full draw weight, approx. 60lbs with a 3-point bristle rest throwing Victory V-Force V6 350 arrows and I use a release. Don't recall draw length off the top of my head but I'm confident the owner of Hardcore archery did them right as I took my bow in and had him cut them and everything. The field points are 150gr and I've been using the 150gr Dirt Nap DRT broad heads and I weighed them all to confirm weights and all within less than 1gr. With the field points/broadheads in the total arrow weight is 450gr (weighed on 2 reloading scales). So what the h*** is going on? Is it just my bow doesn't like the broadheads? Is something wrong with my setup or should I just try different heads? Only problem is the dirt naps are the only ones I could find in 150gr so I'd have to drop down to 125s or 100s but is a 400gr arrow adequate for deer/black bear/moose (though no moose for me this season)? Should I try a mechanical instead? Either way this sucks with only a couple days till season opener, lesson learned I guess, check broadheads well in advance even if field points are shooting great...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: HELP!! Broadheads hit 3" lower than field points

I was under the impression your broad heads always fly a bit different then your field points. I think mine were an inch right and maybe low.
    I just adjusted my bow when hunting season was close so my broadheads were spot on.
    Team Toyota
    Hoyt rampage xt
    husky 30-06

Yep my brodheads hit roughly 1" left and down at 20 yards, more so the further back you shoot compared to my practice points. Adjust your sight, takes about 20 seconds and done. Just make sure when they are hitting bullseye at 20 that they are hitting at 30, 40, 50.....etc. I e shot several different broadheads and they all seemed to fly slightly different but all were easy to zero in with a quick sight adjustment. And all shot dead on at all distances at ter the sight was adjusted for 20. Just make sure your broadheads and field points are the same weight

Check cam timing, you may need half a twist in a cable.
    "Forty yards n closin"

For the more experienced archery guys than me....the described "wobbling"....could this be from too much head weight, and not stiff enough arrow which could be corrected with spine adjustment? I'm guessing not if the field tips are the same weight?
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

How confident are you in the consistency of your arrows? Square nocks, square inserts, spin tested shafts. Anything out of tolerance in the arrows will be exaggerated by fixed blades as well.

Also, if those larger broadheads have more weight forward compared to field points it could cause an issue. You could also look at weighted inserts so you could use 100 grain heads but keep overall weight.
    Yup, that coiler is a personal best...

With a properly tuned bow, and excellent form, broad heads, field points, and bare shafts should all (practically) have the same POI.
    First things I would do, is verify bow tuning. Verify your draw length, draw weight, cam sync, brace height etc. If nothing has changed, and your bow specs are in tune, I would wager it being a form issue. Field points don't add much resistance and allow the vanes to do their job and correct arrow flight. broad heads on the other hand add lots of resistance. If your form isn't perfect its only going to add drag, and slow your arrow, thus lowering your POI.
    If nothing else, measure your bows ATA (axle to axle), brace height, and draw weight, if those are all bang on, I'd say your bow is good to go.
    If your still having the same problem after a bow tune, try shooting bare shafts (close, maybe 10-20 yards) and see how those group, and where. A bare shaft will make form imperfections painfully obvious.
    Be warned!! Bare shafts are incredibly difficult to group good, but will reveal form...
    Originally posted by MEATEATER
    If anyone says blacktails there lying no one can figure them out
    Hunt Hard, Hunt safe, Eat Well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Rafiki View Post
    How confident are you in the consistency of your arrows? Square nocks, square inserts, spin tested shafts. Anything out of tolerance in the arrows will be exaggerated by fixed blades as well.

Also, if those larger broadheads have more weight forward compared to field points it could cause an issue. You could also look at weighted inserts so you could use 100 grain heads but keep overall weight.
    150gr tip is a 150gr tip. A change in FOC could very well change POI, but going from 150gr FP to BH shouldn't cause much of a POI change.
    Originally posted by MEATEATER
    If anyone says blacktails there lying no one can figure them out
    Hunt Hard, Hunt safe, Eat Well.

Papertune it and see what that tells you. Download the easton arrow tuning guide it has great info in there and should walk you thru the tuning process.

Basically that broadhead is acting like a wing or spoiler on the front. If your bow isn't in perfect tune with the arrows spine it will shoot differently. The field point has no wing to add drag but the broad head does. Mechanicals could help for a quick fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......