Thread: First shotgun

First shotgun

Hi, I'm wanting to buy my first shotgun I'm interested in grouse hunting and some waterfowl.
    Is a 12 gauge gonna be best to start with? Any tips or insights would be great. My dog is great at getting grouse up in the air, I know a .22 is better for grouse because of meat loss but would enjoy taking my dog.
    Last edited by On my two feet; 08-28-2016 at 08:09 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First shotgun

12 ga. For waterfowl would be perfect, for grouse I'd recommend a .22.

ive havent shot a grouse with a .22 yet ( maybe once?) I always use a 12g. try an aim a little high, dont aim at the chest. I learned that the hard way. I was way to close and blew the bird up. I use #6 and havent had any trouble, the meat sometimes has one or two pellets through it.
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

i always used 71/2 for grouse and aim high...learn your shotgun pattern by shooting at some paper from various distances

If I had room for only 1 gun under my pillow, it would be a 12ga
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I use a 410 on grouse works well for me

Where do you live?

I suggest borrowing one or shooting a few first.

Would you buy your first car without a test drive?
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

There's a couple of old single shot Cooey's on the buy and sell section for cheap. Might be a good place to start until you know exactly what your after?

A 12 ga. will be just fine for grouse and waterfowl. The most versatile gun I have is a Remington 870 in 12 ga.
    It is a great grouse gun, waterfowler and I shoot a few rounds of trap with it as well.
    THE TRICK IS TO USE THE RIGHT CHOKE AND THE RIGHT SHOT SIZE FOR THE TYPE OF GAME YOU ARE AFTER.
    Most shotguns these days come with screw-in chokes so you can make 1 gun do pretty much everything.
    If you are wing shooting grouse over a dog, then the recipe for success is Improved Cylinder choke with 1 ounce trap loads of # 7+1/2 or #8 shot. Just don't expect to make any shots beyond about 30 yards.
    Pass shooting Ducks requires bigger medicine. Steel shot or hevi-shot because they are migratory birds. Full choke and 1+1/8 to 1+1/4 ounce loads. Geese need bigger medicine yet.
    I would highly recommend a 12 ga for your first shotgun. Get a decent one like an 870 Wingmaster or a Browning BPS. Then go to your local gun club and do some trap shooting. It can actually be more fun than hunting.
    Semper in excretum altum