Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recipes For Heart HELP!

Re: Recipes For Heart HELP!

if nothing else, like surrey boy said throw it in with the ground... better there than in a bear/wolf stomach

I like to do a kind of pickling of my deer hearts. Here's how I do it.

I do a pretty simple method that I guess is more of a boiled heart in water, vinegar and pickling spices. I just put a cup and a half of water, a splash or two of apple cider vinegar (shot glass) and twice that amount of white vinegar along with a tea ball filled with pickling spices in a pot. Put the heart in and top up with fluids if needed. Boil for a bit (never time it) that is probably 10 minutes, let stand in the fluid for 1/2 hour. Cool the heart, slice it up and munch away with some crackers. It's nice to have a cold beer to go with it as well.

As others have said you want to clean and trip the heart before pickling it.
    Rejuvenation: Sitting in the slash in sub-zero temperatures waiting for first light and hearing antlers clashing together. Oh man, life is good!

I have mine frozen, and was going to save it for the pup as a super-treat. I found this recipe, and am sort of changing my mind now!

http://foragerchef.com/corned-venison-heart/

stuff it like a chicken and super treat yourself
    pup can have the scraps
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

Heart tacos!

Clean and slice.

Marinate in a bowl with:
    1 bunch chopped cilantro
    1 squeezed lime
    3/4 bottle of corona
    1 small onion, chopped
    2 or 3 garlic, chopped
    a tsp of cumin
    a tsp of coriander
    1/4 tsp of cayenne (or more, or less)
    salt and pepper

Give it good soak, overnight, or all day, and blast those slices on the grill.

Before you grill the meat, slice and stir fry a red onion and a couple peppers. They should be starting to get good and soft before you throw your meat on the grill.
    Use a bit of the leftover marinade to deglaze your sliced onions and peppers as they start sticking to the frying pan.

Serve with guac, salsa, cheese, beans, or whatever else you like in tacos.

Soft corn tortillas are my favourite for tacos, but they take a trick to make them good: Get a frying pan HOT (splash some water on it, and it should sizzle and spit immediately). Take one tortilla and splash water all over one side. Place that side on the pan. Wait 20 seconds or so and splash the top side with water and flip it. Take off the heat once the sizzling stops. You're basically steaming the tortillas, and it's a total game-changer.

Last edited by Ryo; 12-22-2016 at 12:35 PM.

the above recipe works well with flank, diaphragm, and brisket as well. They're all so small in a deer I marinate them all together whole, and slice them against the grain once they're cooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryo View Post
    the above recipe works well with flank, diaphragm, and brisket as well. They're all so small in a deer I marinate them all together whole, and slice them against the grain once they're cooked.
    Those tacos look UNREAL! I hand make/press my own corn torts, so we'll definitely have to try this instead of the dog getting the heart

As everyone else mentioned, make sure to clean it really well. After that, I've had it seared on cast iron with caramelized onions, garlic, salt and pepper, and a healthy dose of red wine. It's a "recipe" that covers pretty much anything!

Personally, I find the texture and idea of eating heart to be a little off-putting, but it really is delicious. Waste not, want not, right?

P.S. Ryo, those tacos look amazing!

1) Cut it into strips.
    2) Clean out any coagulated blood.
    3) Heat up a cast iron frying pan (preferably use butter).
    4) Place strips into frying pan and season with seasoning salt.
    5) Turn occasional till cooked through.
    Same way I cook my Liver.

It doesn't look as nice as your taco, but is great when your still out in the bus.