Thread: Bowhunting Rangefinder

Bowhunting Rangefinder

Hello,

So in my research I have learned a rangefinder is very important for bow hunting. This is going to be my first year hunting instead of just target practice at a range.

What range finders are the bow hunters using ? I am not looking for top of the line because I only really plan to hunt on nice days, Only reason being I dont know anyone else in region 8-11 area who bow hunts(also I am a newbie so im working my way into it) . So for this fact I wont be going crazy or into any super sketchy areas.

Basically what I am asking is what range finders are you guys using ?

I know they need a slope distance/arc technology in them to be good for bowhunting.

Cheers

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bowhunting Rangefinder

if your looking for budget than watch Crappy tire, they go on sale all the time for lots off so research those ones and wait for the best ones to go on sale. Also keep in mind that if your ever going to use them for longer ranges than buy the model that advertises double the range for what you want to shoot. For example if you want to range a deer at 300 yards than buy a model that says it will range 600 yards. They will range a large surface and 600yrds but not a deer, moose ect.
    Good luck

Here is the one I use...reasonably priced and works just fine http://www.scorpionoptics.com/laser-...nder-p-36.html
    IMHO
    Edge

Vortex Ranger 1000

I just picked up a Nikon Acculon for $229 from Cabelas. Not top of the line at all but gets the job done so far no complaints

I had a Nikon Rifle master that I used for a season but what I found was even in a VERY light drizzle the laser couldn't pick up the target. In a light fog it was a lost cause. I upgraded to a used Leupold RX800i and it is MUCH better. I have used it in rain with no issues and even a light fog. Heavier fog tho I am not sure if any range finder will work. The one thing I don't like about it is the black display read out. I would rather have a red display to make it easier to see in low light, but not the end of the world.
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

I have a halo from crappy tire, does the job cuz you won't need to be shooting anything over 100 yads. But they do have angle compensation on them, chrap and fairly good quality.