Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Kuiu Gear and prohibitive customs duties and charges....

Re: Kuiu Gear and prohibitive customs duties and charges....

Quote Originally Posted by charlie_horse View Post
    Speaking of Kuiu, I have 30$ to spend there so I don't have to deal with them again. Does anyone have any experience with their game bags?

Edit: or their ULTRA merino socks?
    Those socks are the best that I own. I have several pairs of Smartwool and some other merino stuff as well, but I really like the way the Ultras fit and have the thicker parts in certain places...they just are comfortable and good socks. And not really more than an equivalent sock at MEC or Atmosphere or the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Ovis Canadensis Hunter View Post
    So I'm not the only one who wheres KUIU just for hunting, lol Shoot me an email and Ill get you a discount for a new pair.
    I was out scouting on the bike.
    Thanks for the offer! Will certainly take you up on that!

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Hey Guys
    Really good discussion. I guess where I am at fault on this, is that I assumed that because my previous order didnt come with any duties that Kuiu had the duty thing sorted. And then the big surprise on this order. The quality and performance is good, if not great. The camo patterns are pretty concealing. But as I mentioned earlier, I just cant afford the product with tax on tax on taxes. etc.
    So I will be looking into more affordable, maybe less quality, gear in the future.
    Best of luck with Canada distribution Orvis. I will keep my eyes open for any Kuiu deals that cant be ignored...although I feel I will be waiting awhile........
    Happy Hunting everyone!
    IMD

Just ordered my attack pants and guide jacket after talking to Dallas. Thanks again.

What was the deal Donny?

20% off my orders from now on. You order from Kuiu site and enter a coupon code. You will still pay the sales tax and duty as it crosses the border but the discount covers the duty part.Prices are in U.S. dollars so exchange rate is also a factor. The gear is cheaper than Sitka and First Lite now compared to a local shop so im going to be buying Kuiu from now on. Email Dallas to get the info.
    Last edited by donny.brooke; 09-14-2016 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by donny.brooke View Post
    20% off my orders from now on. You order from Kuiu site and enter a coupon code. You will still pay the sales tax and duty as it crosses the border but the discount covers the duty part.Prices are in U.S. dollars so exchange rate is also a factor. The gear is cheaper than Sitka and First Lite now compared to a local shop so im going to be buying Kuiu from now on. Email Dallas to get the info.
    By the time it's said and done 20% off doesn't make it cheaper than the other two brands named. You can find them both in Canada on sale just about any time with some searching. Even at regular price it would still be less...Regardless, hopefully we hear of a Canadian distributer soon.

Ok lets do some math
    First lite kanab 2.0 at local shop is $312.00 out the door
    Kuiu attack is 109.00 after discount plus 18 shipping is $127.00 US. Lets do 1.33 for exchange to be safe. 168.91 canadian plus 12 percent tax is 189.00 canadian then 18 percent duty puts them at 223 canadian plus 10 bucks for USPS brokerage fee. So 233 landed.
    Sitka jetstream jacket is $502.00 out the door at local shop.
    Kuiu dcs guide jacket is $151.00 plus 18 shipping is $169.00 US. So $224.00 canadian plus tax and duty is 297.05 so way cheaper than local. Now if you combine items shipping is less on each piece.
    Was at local shop and sitka storm front rain jacket is $950.00 tax in and im pretty sure you could get a yukon rainjacket for $540.00 landed easy. So im not sure how you say its cheaper to buy stuff local. This was an apples to apples comparison on equal quality and style gear. Some sitka stuff does go on sale once and a while but usually not the latest and greatest gear that just came out. The kuiu stuff is the latest most up to date stuff they have. I have sitka, first lite and kuiu gear and the quality of all three is top notch.
    Last edited by donny.brooke; 09-14-2016 at 12:20 PM.

Last fall during Kuiu's big sale I got the Yukon set for about $800 to my door. That includes taxed and the hefty bill when I picked it up from Canada Post (even the teller thought it was a mis-print).
    It IS cheaper and/or comparable to regular price Sitka, but if you can time it right at Wholesale's 30% off camo events then Sitka is cheaper. Problem being I live 1.5 hours drive from the nearest Wholesale and they are always sold out of all the M and L sizes right away anyways.
    End of the day - I LOVE my Kuiu gear. Fantastic product, great product support and innovation, darn good prices for what you get.
    If Orvis is going to be selling Kuiu in CDN funds soon I had better find out quick so I can start an offshore bank account to start hiding funds from my wife. I managed to hide the Yukon set but I might not be so lucky next time......

Orvis wont be selling in Canadian funds, its all going to come from the Kuiu website with a 20% off coupon. I had a pretty good conversation with him about it.