Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: BC moose tracker app

Re: BC moose tracker app

I love how all the backyard biologists know exactly how and why all the trained (professional) biologists and information technologists fall short in their application of scientific and technological principles. You guys are probably right. You guys are brilliant enough to think about factors like repeat sightings and user data skewing and they must never have thought of that. I'm sure they will drop all efforts to enumerate wildlife as per accepted methodologies and revert entirely to prototype science that is being assessed for potential effectiveness. And you're right, we should totally ignore technology that has the potential to assist our science upon our discovery of how to harness it, which coincidentally is only possible through R&D and field testing, which they are trying. We should stay dinosaurs in a changing world. Hey it worked 40 years ago, it must be the best we can do today, right?

Quote Originally Posted by alcesgigantes View Post
    Used the app the other day to record my sightings (and a few days with no moose...). It's pretty straightforward. Anyone else using it?
    I've been using it all fall. .08 moose per hour in the field
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Stresd View Post
    Nope. It's apple only (IoS). You would think whoever designed the App would have made it for the operatings system (Android) with the largest market share first. 2 bulls down and at the cutters. Could have recorded another 9 or 10. Ceptin everyone in my groups Phones/Tabs operate on the Android operating system.
    Its for android as well. I post things but they don't show up. or don't show up immediately.

Could you post a link to the Android BC govt Moose app please

The BC Govt App site states Apple compatible with no mention of Android

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/en...-moose-tracker

The Province developed B.C. Moose Tracker in consultation with the B.C. Wildlife Federationand with the financial support of the Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation.
    Compatibility: iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch , iOS 7.0 or later.

My bad. The android app I am using is something called MyMoose... no BCWF involvement at all.
    apparently I'm just telling other people where I see moose....

does it show on the map where the moose are spotted??

no just MU
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

App is available on iOS and Android: (I have asked gov to update their page liked below that says iOS only)

If you’re planning on heading out moose hunting this fall FLNRORD is asking that you record your observations using the BC Moose Tracker mobile device app.
    B.C. Moose Tracker is an official Government of British Columbia app that allows hunters to play an important part in moose conservation and management.

The app lets users upload information on the number, sex and location of moose they encounter in the wild directly to a province-wide database. The data will help the Province monitor moose populations by alerting staff to emerging issues.
    The Province developed B.C. Moose Tracker in collaboration with the BC Wildlife Federation and with the financial support of the Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation.

You can find out more info here: https://buff.ly/2yiQbVa
    Available for Android on the Google Play Store: https://buff.ly/2OEggIm
    and for Iphone on the iTunes store: https://buff.ly/2yiQcbG

Last edited by 2chodi; 10-12-2018 at 09:25 AM.

I just checked the webpage and the link to the Google Play store is there now.

www.gov.bc.ca/wildlifehealth/moosetracker