Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wondering about woodies

Re: wondering about woodies

I've hunted Ducks in the Fraser Valley for the last twenty years and missed an opening morning only once. In that time I've shot about 3 or 4 wood ducks including a drake in full colors last year, all were shot on opening morning. I think the main problem with wood ducks is that we are at the northern end of their range and they migrate south very quickly. In the spring and summer I see lots around where I work they even come right into the silo to eat spilled corn but seem to disapear along with the cinamon teal quite early in the fall. If you want to get a would duck I would suggest focusing your efforts around opening weekend along a watercourse that has plenty of trees.

Lots of wood ducks here, but it is a no shooting zone, my neighbor has a couple in his pond, I watch them whistle by once in a while. If you want to see lots of them, There is a pond by the Mission Drag strip. I mostly see them in backwoods ponds.

Tons of woodies in the LM/FV, I estimated between 200-400 last year during a dyke walk at Pitt before opener.

Hunting them is fun, and eating them is the best! They are hands down my favorite duck to eat... In Ontario they were our #2 duck we shot.

They have some teal qualities in that they do decoy to other species, and either just appear in your dekes, or buzz you. Don't ever wait for a second pass with woodrows, as it rarely comes!

The secret is finding where they want to be as you will not pull them over like mallards and others. A few woodie decoys help, but not necessary. If you have a chance to jump shoot while paddling a canoe there are few things more enjoyable in waterfowling!

Get out and scout, last year they where here till about the end of October, but then all gone.

Very best,

Ian

We always get a couple pairs about a month and a half before the season starts who stick around but then leave a a couple weeks before opening morning. Plan on shooting one to mount it if I ever get the chance. But we always get about a dozen of them come back in the spring time and nest on a pond on our property. Another farmer close by has about a dozen hen boxes and they do quite good there every year but already this year we've seen a few mothers with chicks swimming around in our pond. Beautiful birds for sure.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?