Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jesse Zeman on grizzly talk on CBC Aug 17th 2016

Re: Jesse Zeman on grizzly talk on CBC Aug 17th 2016

"If we all had numbers we could agree on, we might be able to get somewhere--all of us want healthy animal populations,"

That would be nice, but Artelle also said that the decision shouldn't be based on science. I'm pretty sure he's not that interested in working together.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    "If we all had numbers we could agree on, we might be able to get somewhere--all of us want healthy animal populations,"

That would be nice, but Artelle also said that the decision shouldn't be based on science. I'm pretty sure he's not that interested in working together.
    The truth is that while we need the scientific end to manage wildlife well and show that hunting is sustainable (and even helpful), we also need some people who are apologists for the moralists objections to hunting. If the presuppositions of the, 'hunting is morally wrong' crowd can be cut from under them they would have nothing left to stand on.

Easier said than done, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by kebes View Post
    The truth is that while we need the scientific end to manage wildlife well and show that hunting is sustainable (and even helpful), we also need some people who are apologists for the moralists objections to hunting. If the presuppositions of the, 'hunting is morally wrong' crowd can be cut from under them they would have nothing left to stand on.

Easier said than done, I know.
    I agree full heartily. We need definitive direction! The caveat is that even if we have good intentions, and put the grizzlies first, will the raincoast ever give us anything back? That is what we are all afraid of. I am certain they won't and therefore am also resistant to work with them, but I also believe if we shove science down a science approach and prove we are right, we and the government would be so much further ahead and we would be able to much easier argue the point against an all out ban on Grizzly hunting.

When is one life more important than another? The Raincoast can buy a guiding territory and simply "give" away a deer's life in order to keep their territory (according to the law), a life which they perceive is less important than that of a bear.....a grizzlies life more important than a deer! So does that mean a white man's life is more important than another's simply because we are more plentiful or deemed more of a "trophy".....BS is all I say! I should not post when I am so.....upset
    !
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

I guess better late than never:

Thank-you Jesse for your outstanding representation of our community.

Thank-you also for always keeping on topic and addressing that topic with science and facts:

You are one of the good guys!
    Last edited by biggyun68; 09-19-2016 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Grammar
    Every day in the bush is a day you get back from the Reaper!

VGC
    SVRGC
    BCWF

It is amazingly satisfying when you see how some stories tie into the existing data and a coherent and truthful interpretation can be made, argued and evidenced.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/nat...776/story.html

Further non-anecdotal evidence that BC Grizzlies are doing well.

Much appreciated again Jesse for all the work you're putting into this. If there's anything we can do to help, don't hesitate to ask. I for one will not be a complacent member of BCWF and shy away from shouldering the burden of effective work.

All the best.
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand