Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backcountry meal packing

Backcountry meal packing

I'm looking at getting a dehydrator to made my own meals for backcountry hunting. What do people use for packaging home made dehydrated meals? Anyone using resealable mylar bags? If so where do you get them.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Backcountry meal packing

Vacuum seal using a FoodSaver and take an empty Mountain House bag along for heating up your dinner.
    The World is run by those that show up.

I dehydrated chili, baked beans, spagetti sauce. Put them in ziplock bags but im sure a vac pack would be better. Nothing like home cooking out in the bush, mountain house just does not do it for me

Good idea Iltasyuko. Thanks for the suggestion.

two-feet - how to you reheat your meals?

I dehydrated chilli last year and vac bagged it in portions. Worked well and reheated with my jetboil.

Check out "Recipes for Adventure" by Glen McAllister. It's a guide on making dehydrated meals and I've had great results following the instructions and recipes. Much better than store bought dehydrated meals.

Quote Originally Posted by BDN9 View Post
    Check out "Recipes for Adventure" by Glen McAllister. It's a guide on making dehydrated meals and I've had great results following the instructions and recipes. Much better than store bought dehydrated meals.
    I bought an assortment of dehydrated meals yesterday. I found the sodium content was quite high in most of the packages, considering I'd eat the whole package to myself in one meal. After eating a couple of packages so far, I'm going to try to get a hard copy of this book, and give it a try. As a last resort I'll buy an e copy.

In the past few years I have dehydrated red meat and salmon, and some fruits. I don't have the imagination to plan out whole dehydrated meals, the book looks like a good place to start learning how to do it, and also cater to my individual tastes.

FWIW to the original question of food storage, I use a vacuum sealer and double seal each seam. Sometimes I lose the seal when I only do it once.

Thumbs up Re: Backcountry meal packing

Quote Originally Posted by Iltasyuko View Post
    Vacuum seal using a FoodSaver and take an empty Mountain House bag along for heating up your dinner.
    aYup. Like the Boner, I also double tap the seals.

One of my favorites is a pemmican like "meat puck" that I lightly smoke before finsihing dehydrating.
    Can be consumed like a burger (quick stop) or turned into a soup when mixed with whatever else you have along / collect.

Working on some of that now... Have to do something to retain the one-eyed sanity...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I have the book mentioned above and it has some pretty good recipes and tips in it. Pretty easy to do when you have the hang of it. My daughter and I hiked Cathedral park 2 weekends ago and made up our own meals. I dehydrated some venison and a can of corn then added it to some Idahoan rosted garlic potatoes.
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost