Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting boots

Hunting boots

Slowly getting kitted out for hunting season. Im planning on doing a fair amount of hiking while im hunting, so do I REALLY need fancy hunting boots, or will my standard hiking boots (above ankle) work?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting boots

I think it really depends on three things: your foot structure, your terrain, and your backpack weight.

The higher your arch, weaker your ankle, or more problematic your knees, you'll need stronger stiffer boots. The steeper and rockier terrain, the stiffer taller boot you'll need, and the heavier your pack, you guessed it, the stiffer and taller boot you'll need.

For flat hunts in open terrain I wear anything from trail runners to 6 inch boots depending on my pack load. For hunts in steep mountainous terrain I always wear a stiff 9 inch boot regardless of pack weight.
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

I wear regular hiking boots all day, every day and a good pair that fits correctly is the most versatile footwear for hunting that you can buy.

Most of the so-called "hunting boots" I have seen are not of as high quality as the best brands of hikers and are too heavy, IMO.

Meindl, Lova, Zamberlan, Scarpa, Hanwag, are all brands that in their heavy duty models, when FITTED properly are excellent choices and will last for many miles when maintained well.

If your hunting on the coast and spend time hiking, meindl,s with caulked soles are the way to go. No more slipping on ice and steep ground

You must buy hunting boots! After all you are going hunting, not hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by itsy bitsy xj View Post
    You must buy hunting boots! After all you are going hunting, not hiking.
    Ha ha. Good one...

I have grown fond of the Irish Setter - Elk Trackers. They are 12" high and have great grip on any terrain, whether it be snow or mud or rocks etc. and they're waterproof
    I figured I'd get high tops since I always had bad luck with rolling ankles while hunting/hiking. Since I got these I have yet to roll an ankle

Love my army boots... With in soles they're comfortable, and if taken care of, ie oiled regularly etc, they will out last all the boots previously mentioned, By a Long shot I garautee it..

Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
    If your hunting on the coast and spend time hiking, meindl,s with caulked soles are the way to go. No more slipping on ice and steep ground
    One caution about caulked boots. They are really noisy when you walk on ice or on rocky ground. If stealth is important to you as a hunter, I would not recommend caulked sole boots. I have better luck on steep rocky ground with a good aggressive rubber lug sole like a Vibram.
    Semper in excretum altum

I just got a pair of salomon quest 2's and they are great so far. Lightweight, stiff soled, aggressive tread. They have a great track record from over in the hiking world and they are a damn sight cheaper than a pair of Scarpas, Lowas or Kenetreks.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of it's lonely freedom."
    - Theodore Roosevelt