Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rookie Hunter with a Rookie pup

Rookie Hunter with a Rookie pup

So, here I've got myself a rifle, a shotgun, a good-looking dog who receives training well and...I've never been hunting.
    She is spayed, 1 year old Lab/GWP cross and loves retrieving and won't give up until she finds it or I drag her away.

We have some rules when we train- when I say "ready" she circles from my right behind me to my left- then the dummy is thrown. If it's in the air I say "fetch" if I let it land then she has to "search it up". But she cheats and watches where it lands.
    She's also damn good at sniffing her dummies out. But I need to know how I'm supposed to work with her in the field.

The plan is waterfowl retrieval and upland hunting. From what I understand, the former involves a lot of sitting while the latter involves a bit more work.

Any pointers?! (pun intended, I have no shame)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rookie Hunter with a Rookie pup

Take care with introducing her to gun fire, you can find all kinds of info on this if you search around the web. From my (limited) experience some dogs won't care and some will hate it, you don't want her hating it.

I would think grouse hunting is a nice easy start compared to waterfowl hunting, you already have all you need just go walk some old logging roads.

If I were you I would search for a well regarded book on basic gun dog training and start with that. Post up when you have questions that are a little more specific...

And, put up some pics of your dog!

Joan Bailey, how to help gun dogs train themselves. Buy it, read it.

Where you located? Find local trainers and join in. You'll learn more in 15 min with a good trainer than in 2 years screwing your dog up alone.

Most important, have fun, make sure the dog is having fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr
    Having an opinion is kind of like having a penis. It's fine that you have one, and its fine that I have one, but you don't see me trying to cram mine down your throat.....

2x care intoducing to gun fire

Thanks for all the input guys. Sorry for the tardy response, harvest season kind of took up all my brain and will power for a month or two.
    I live in Abbotsford and would be greatly interested in meeting any other experienced hunters with trained dogs.

Contact both of these places. Go to a training day and meet some people. Lots of excellent dog people in both places (both clubs have most of the same members.)

http://www.bclab.com/

http://fvrtc.org/
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    Contact both of these places. Go to a training day and meet some people. Lots of excellent dog people in both places (both clubs have most of the same members.)

http://www.bclab.com/

http://fvrtc.org/

will do. Thanks!

my dog didnt mind shotguns....

now shes afraid of my 7mag, like if it comes outta the case she starts shaking
    "Golf, what a waste of a perfectly good rifle range"

I'm the one sitting in the cut block glassing all the animals you spooked and didnt see because you dont get out of your truck

13yrs and counting in Canadian Oil & Gas...

Welp we took her out with a duck scented dummy and I took the shotgun about 300 yards away and worked up to her, firing it when the dummy was thrown. She didn't even notice the shotgun...so that's good. I'm still a little wary of taking her out right away for birds as she hasn't handled any yet.

Quote Originally Posted by samwyse View Post
    Welp we took her out with a duck scented dummy and I took the shotgun about 300 yards away and worked up to her, firing it when the dummy was thrown. She didn't even notice the shotgun...so that's good. I'm still a little wary of taking her out right away for birds as she hasn't handled any yet.
    How is your dog going to learn how to handle birds if you don't take her hunting??
    Do you want her as a flushing dog or a pointing dog (does she have natural pointing instinct)?

Regarding the firing of a gun,develope drive and eagerness in your dog and the bang of your gun is secondary...which the dog shall relate to success.