Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: speed cap for 3D??

Re: speed cap for 3D??

Can anyone tell me what the faa rule is . is it 5 grs. pure pound or 280 fps i can`t seem to down load the shooting rules .

its is one or the other merv.

if you are shooting 280 or less you can legally shoot under 5 grains per pound, allthough most manufacturers don't reccomend it

if you are shooting over 280 fps you MUST be within the 5 grains per pound rule with 3% margin for error to account for scale differences.

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

yer allowed 3% on the speed to allow for chrony diffs as well .... If your chrony says 285 you might be ok ... then again their chrony might say 289 and yer screwed

bowwalker,

getting around 320 out of my ultra elite at 55 pounds with an 8 inch brace height and just about 40 in axle to axle. pretty forgiving speedy bow i think.....

any bow over 310-315 is a fast bow. i think one would have to look at bow construction more than anything. if it has a 4 inch brace height and hatchet cams and .....yadda yadda yadda then yeah its not going to be a forgiving bow but most bows now days have at least a 7 to 7.5 brace height and still bein excess of 310 to 32o fps. (which in my opinion is more than fast enough)

just a thought thats all,
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jessbennett View Post
    bowwalker,

getting around 320 out of my ultra elite at 55 pounds with an 8 inch brace height and just about 40 in axle to axle. pretty forgiving speedy bow i think.....

just a thought thats all,
    Wow. Can't complain about that a-tall !

I've got a Vectrix XL on the way - it's advertised at 315 with a 36" A2A. I'll be using Easton Fat Boys cut down as short as the bow will handle and still give me good arrow flight. So I have no idea what to expect.

I'm going to be experimenting with a few different lengths to see what works best - what the bow likes best is more to the point.

the vectrix bows are very nice....... you'll really like them....what poundage are you shooting????
    Last edited by jessbennett; 06-25-2007 at 09:22 PM. Reason: not enough info
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

sorry, double post.....
    Quote:

Bow Walker Guest

Take care of that stutter jess.............
    I'll be shooting 60 lbs. I suspect that when I max the bolts it'll be up between 61 and 63. At least that is what my Diamond is.

I've been at a shoot where one guy in the group had a Vectrix - very quiet. On a par with a Guardian for quietness. He said it was a very smooth drawing bow as well. Since he's about my age, It should also b smooth for me. Old farts are like that you know...........

I think a speed cap would be great it would be a level field of play
    for everyone.
    It would boil down to the shooters abilities.
    lets do it!!!!!!!!!

Speed cap could go either way. The faster the bow the more room for error. 5 grains is enough. Even then some of these new bows are going so fast, the bow can't handle 5 grains. My bow goes plenty fast but performs better for me at 5.5-6 grains.

Living life at full draw.