Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: speed cap for 3D??

Re: speed cap for 3D??

well I know Ontario Archery assoc. has a speed limit of 280

I am not favor of it .... I also know that some shooters in this country that are highly respected shoot some fast bows ....

some examples: Cody Draper 4x Outdoor Nat silver medalist and 2x Indoor Gold medalist in MBO with a Martin Fury, Hoyt super or Turbo Tecs (I think his last Gold came with either a Trykon or Vectrix) 5th place in open div at Fita world 3D champs with a Vectrix all around 300 FPS
    Jude Hooey ... Various National Championships with Super/Turbo Tecs and Trykons ...Martins etc...all shooting over 295 FPS
    Derek Hird At least 2 outdoor National Championships in MBO and at least 2 IBO world Championships in mens youth div (he won the 2k4 outdoor nats in PG at age 19) shooting Bowtechs at around 300

I can keep going here But I think my point is made ... now my next point is ... it dont matter how fast you shoot ... if you cant controll the bow ...your still gonna miss.

some people think that speed will make up ranging errors to a point this is correct as arrow flight is less arched ... but if you cant controll your bow ... it wont do ya any good ....

another arguement that been thrown out is less damage to targets .... that is a BS arguement ... For me to slow down my Super tec to 280 or so I would have to weight my arrows so much(pushing 500 gr as my hunting arrows are 426 gr and being flung at 299 fps at 67# ) as that I would have about 90 pounds of KE ...therefore I would blow through alot of targets in a hurry, My Trykon shoots at about 285 FPS at 313 grain arrow at 51 pounds

I would be all for a speed limit. Take two equil in abiulity shooter one has a 26 in draw and one a 31 who`s going to win . the same bow is 59 fps slower. Put 280 and everyone has to work on yardage not just the short draw shooters.

I would be all for a speed limit. Take two equil in abiulity shooter one has a 26 in draw and one a 31 who`s going to win . the same bow is 59 fps slower. Put 280 and everyone has to work on yardage not just the short draw shooters.
    that is somewhat true Merv but even when you impose a speed cap the long draw shooter (me) is still going to have an advantage. I am going to be able to pull much less weight and still get my 280. less draw weight is often much easier to shjoot and will have much less off a fatigue factor bu the end of the day.

Chris

"Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

I think willy the short draw shooter has the advantage of machanics . There is a lot less to go wrong with a short draw.

speed limits suck, are you the guys that thought they were a good idea on highways too?
    things get faster and things get better, its called evolution...
    If you're not in the longbow class then why cry about speed limits, ten years ago your bow shooting 290 would have been the cats azz, and I doubt you would have wanted a speed limit then? At the end of the day its gonna be the better shooter that wins, not the faster bow.
    If you cant beat them arrange to have them beaten

I'm not in favor of speed caps, but I'm a little biased, I just bought a Black Mamba, one of the fastest bows made!!!

so

NO SPEED LIMITS PLEASE

Personally, I think that there should be a draw lengh restriction to not exceed 29", that'll level out the playing field.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Same here, just bought a PSE x-force, the stats say it shoots 348 fps. All the new bows I looked at stated avg speeds between 310 - 330. Wouldnt make much sense to limit the new bow's technology and penalise the ppl that want to shoot them.

Not sure if it was mentioned before but faster bows are traditionally harder to shoot as accuratly than slower bows. This could very well offset the flatter trajectry of the fast bow.

Bow Walker Guest

The faster bows are just less "forgiving" than their less speedy bretheren. It's the shooter that counts.

Get good with your equipment and you can beat anybody - including Bernie. He isn't shooting in excess of 315 fps and yet he rarely - if ever gets a can of whoop-ass opened unless he does the opening.