Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: speed cap for 3D??

speed cap for 3D??

Well heres an interesting topic that some folks have been talking about for a while......do you think 3D in B.C. or Canada for that matter should have a speed cap?

discuss

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

2. Site Sponsor

Re: speed cap for 3D??

I can understand the reason behind it but I would say no. If the sport grew in popularity, or if you broke it down into groups, such as Open has a cap, unlimited doesn't or unlimited and open do but bowhunter doesn't I could see it. Just a way of leveling the playing field. But I also see the ability to shoot a smoking fast bow accurately part of the game.

Overal I wouldn't support the move.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

I would say no for now as the classes somewhat seperate the speeds into categories.

unless we started shooting 500fps hunting bows then yes.
    "Using your legs to go up a road is called walking, not hiking and if you have a gun over your shoulder or a bow in hand it's called road hunting."
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.

Bow Walker Guest

I'm not in favor of it. I think the ability to shoot, fast or slow, is what really matters. Imposing speed limits doesn't really do anything constructive for the sport.

Shooting 320 f.p.s. at a target that is up to 60 yds away just means (to me) that you get the chance to miss the X a bit faster than the next guy. I realize that speed can make up for a small mis-judgement in yardage but in the end a good 230 f.p.s. shooter will always beat a mediocre 320 f.p.s. shooter.

as always - just one man's opinion.

I really don't think speed should be an issue. I know some really fast shooters that don't shoot worth sh*t and some slow shooters that you just can't beat. Leave speed out of the equation.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live!!!!!

Is this because some can't shoot a fast bow accuarratlly
    so they want a speed cap ??? Thats like saying every one should shoot bright nocks and fletching, not black p - - - k arrows, so they can be seen in the 3 - D target.
    It's called " ASA " max 280 fps. At most shoots you have to pick one or the other, IBO 5 gr per pound or ASA 280 ft per second. For instinse if you pick IBO and your arrows only weight in at 4.5 gr per inch your out, or if you choose ASA and you shoot 300 fps your out. You have to choose one or the other and meet that requirerment.
    How many rules and regs do we need to just have fun, we already have umptine dozen classes. Get over it.
    If we keep making up rules for this, regs for that just because it doesn't suit us, soon people will just stop coming to 3 - D shoots, it's hard enough to get people out with what rules we have now, are we the goverment, regulate everything to death. Look at our gun laws!!!!!!
    Last edited by Eagle1; 06-20-2007 at 10:02 PM.
    New 2011 PSE Omen Pro
    56/29 340 fps
    VICTORY ARROWS

Stuff liek this is what made IPSC into an arms race and caused many (certainly not ALL) to become Irritable People Squabbling Incessantly.

Keep rules as basic as they can be- If someone wants to be a gamer, then they will get they high tech stuff. People that jut want to shoot and have a good time will do it, regardless.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

EAGLE1 isn't it 5 grains per pound ? Anyways , the only advantage a fast bow has is like BowWalker says, misjudging yardage sometimes. Or possibley in some of the "Extreme" shots we get in our shoots up here but by the same token fast is a disadvantage when you want to lob that arrow over the doe to get the buck with the hidden 10 ring.
    For me who has a slower by todays standards bow , 298 fps, just means if I go faster I have to go further into the bush to find my arrows. LOL .
    Let people shoot what they want ! Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

Is this because some can't shoot a fast bow accuarratlly
    so they want a speed cap ???
    no.....I believe that the argument is that long draw folks like me have an unfair advantage over a short draw shooter. There are many who believe a speed cap will "level" the playing field in 3D. I personally am against it for some of the reasons posted above referring to not needing any more regulations that might dissuade anyone from coming out and shooting.

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post
    I personally am against it for some of the reasons posted above referring to not needing any more regulations that might dissuade anyone from coming out and shooting.

Chris
    Your just against it cause eventually somebody will come out with a Draw that will actually fit you(at around 38") and you'll be breaking 400 fps

If you rely on speed to win 3-D your not much of a shooter... which means you won't win anyways. but it would be interesting to see the cap set at say... 220?

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others