Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: speed cap for 3D??

Bow Walker Guest

Re: speed cap for 3D??

Yup Sam - when all is said and done I agree that Archery would benefit as a sport from some sort of 'promotional' and/or fun/family type shoots. What better way to achieve that than having an Introductory Level 3D League.

New archers could hone skills, get used to equipment, enjoy shooting, explore different types of equipment, and generally have a good time while 'learning' to become competitive. Marked yardage/meters would go a long way to attract newbies of all ages.

Shorter stature archers are all to often forgotten when most clubs set up a 3D course - at least here on the Island. I've been a numerous shoots where most in the group were able to either shoot over or around an obstruction, but the vertically challenged person could not even see most of the 8-ring, let alone the 10-ring in a so called "hunting scenario".

Makes it difficult to enjoy the day when anywhere from 10% to 15% of the targets are just not shootable for some people.

At the Nanaimo Pumpkin shoot just last weekend there was a lady in the group behind us (I mentioned her earlier) who was shooting a compound finger bow. She had to use the same stakes to shoot from as all the other compound shooters. Trouble was that her bow was in the 36 - 42 lb range. Some targets she barely made the distance to the animal, let alone hit within the scoring rings.

It was only her good nature that kept her at it, especially in the afternoon round when the shooting was much more difficult due to lack of light (low clouds) and the fact that the targets were back in under the trees.

My tired old eyes were suffering by the end of the day. Just ask Oldtimer, he knows whereof I speak.

ok ALC ... you are a big dog in the grand scheme of things .... so then you know Jude Hooey ... a woman that is multiple national Champion in her division, has a 25" draw ...explain it to me .... her draw is not long ... nor is it heavy ...she can judge distance and execute a shot. I am sure you know Sam Inbrogno ... he shoots a 28" draw at a fairly light weight ...he does pretty well too dontcha think?
    the 3 MBO big dogs in western Canada (Shane Cody and Derek)and what the hell Alain from Quebec(the top 4 shooters from Nats in lethbridge in 2k6 ... by the way Derek beat Alain (2nd place) by ten points with a clean miss that tournament(Alain was the only one that didnt miss a target in that tourney).... I use them because I know them well all have 28" or 28.5 draws and light weight 55-60 pounds ...and all people above I mentioned are shooting at 295 - 300 fps ... its pretty common train of thought that anything above that speed is unpredictdible

So personally I find your logic flawed and unstabstiated

This is a great post !
    AlC. , The fulcrum reference was in regards to the distance from your rest to your nock at full draw. If you as a shorter draw length ( really short ) moves your release .010" up or down , left or right. You will be closer to the 10X than I am at a really long draw length moving the same .010". Draw it out on paper and you will see what I mean. Simple geometry. Great discussion and as always the first female in the discussion makes the most sense. My grandkids got awesome genes. Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    This is a great post !
    . My grandkids got awesome genes. Mike
    From Sammys side maybe ....

BowZone Mikey I do not consider 55-60 Pounds light weight. Give your head a shake man.45 to 50 is light. Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

most youll find are maxed out at 70pounds ...or more

I think that a Person has to Pick the equipment, that he or she wishes to use. That includes Bow, arrows, rest ,site, etc. Then set the equipment up to get the best performance out of that set up. Of course the performance will be determined by draw length, and poundage pulled. The next thing is to learn to shoot the set up to best of their ability. The more regulations That is put in the more people move out. By all this is debated there will regulations, on color of socks, hats, and crying towels we are allowed to use. A good number of people go to shoots to have fun and socialize with friends, and have a good time. For these people most of regulations mute. Then there is the Number of us who Care and try do our best to shoot well and compete.
    I'm not for or against a speed cap, My point is learn to shoot what you have to best of your ability. As in hunting you can have the biggest, baddest Broadhead, but if you can't hit the kill zone you are sunk. Or a race car driver depending on his ability a faster car doesn't mean he will win more races.
    Uncle AL shoots Phenominal with his set up, Sammy99, as well WillyBC, and there is a few others ( to many to mention) They shoot their set up's to best they can. Me I'm still Practising . Haven't reached the best of my Ability yet . Some Day AL.
    Kelly
    My worst day of Hunting is better than my best day at Work.

Talking Re: speed cap for 3D??

alc , maybe what needs to be done is we all shoot the same bow.imho, we all have skills that we have aquired, so shoot one bow, everyone shoots the same bow, no speed advantage or equipment advantage,same bow same arrow. should sort out pretty quick the best of the best.that said , sealevel has the best point, make the courses more user friendly, we all have to work the next day. looks pretty bad , we show up wore out from our "weekend of fun".sammy99, also as a coach , the kids shouldn't be shootingover 50 lbs until they are done growing. can cause joint damage later in life. level the field?the largest problem that is apparent is that no matter how equitably the leveling is done,there will always be someone that sees an opportunity to try to beat the rule, gets caught then complains about how the rule isn't fair.the kiss principle really does work.if we are all required to use the same gear , the only advantage would be to those that practised their yardage estimating.

maybe what needs to be done is we all shoot the same bow.imho, we all have skills that we have aquired, so shoot one bow

???? ARE YOU SERIOUS ? uNFORTUNATELY WE ARE NOT ALL BUILT THE SAME. My draw length is 31 1/2 " Al's is probably 27" how can we shoot the same equipment ?
    Mike

as oldtimer said, how is this possible????? one can shoot the same bow, but a 27 inch draw, compared to a 31 inch draw?????? then it all comes back to the whole reason this thread was started.

Quote Originally Posted by threedhunter View Post
    alc , maybe what needs to be done is we all shoot the same bow.imho, we all have skills that we have aquired, so shoot one bow, everyone shoots the same bow, no speed advantage or equipment advantage,same bow same arrow. should sort out pretty quick the best of the best.that said , sealevel has the best point, make the courses more user friendly, we all have to work the next day. looks pretty bad , we show up wore out from our "weekend of fun".sammy99, also as a coach , the kids shouldn't be shootingover 50 lbs until they are done growing. can cause joint damage later in life. level the field?the largest problem that is apparent is that no matter how equitably the leveling is done,there will always be someone that sees an opportunity to try to beat the rule, gets caught then complains about how the rule isn't fair.the kiss principle really does work.if we are all required to use the same gear , the only advantage would be to those that practised their yardage estimating.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club