Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Predator management....what's gone wrong?

Re: Predator management....what's gone wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post
    Where can I buy that shirt?
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

It was an ad on Facebook, tried to find it, no luck...

Probably come up again, you know when..

I'll get it engraved on something.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    LBM for your edification:

Compared to methods nature uses to control excess predator populations snaring is relatively humane. Disease and parasite infections take weeks and months to kill these animals. In proper perspective snaring is very humane when using a good lock along with a dispatch assistance spring and proper setting for the target species. With a good snaring system the vast majority of your catch will be DOA, site area disturbance minimal allowing the location to be reused and the animal will show little, if any, edema. Experience and education are the key to successful humane snaring.

As far as non-target catches are concerned they are very minimal compared to road kill statistics, and they are often other predators. Unfortunately under the best systems shyte occasionally happens.
    Tomcat I do agree with experience and education are needed and mean no disrespect but have heard lots of the other stuff before. Maybe in your experience its different.
    I have been told before by trappers how there snares kill so fast and efficient but have seen the opposite. The one guy called me to tell me of the large wolf he had just caught
    and how fast it died, now since it had been there for almost a week and had snowed since but that was not the case since I had already seen it, he also always stated no non-target
    catches which I also new was not true but at least now that he knows others no he turns them in. Like I have mentioned before you see lots of stuff that goes on when your in the bush.
    So with disease and parasites with this also include the ticks that they are saying is affecting the moose, have found them in sheep as well deep inside the ear canals so could be an issue
    there as well. You could include starving as a very slow unpleasant death as well, seen quit a few young that have died because of this for there mother was caught in a snare/trap, and the
    adult ones that have broke the snare cable off and get to weak to hunt.
    Every thing is fairly minimal to road kills so not really a good example, the odds of stopping driving are pretty slim but there could be changes made to trapping.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    panhead, it started off last year as a pack of 7.
    A young male and 3 pups got stupid last fall and caught bullets.
    A bred female (6 pups in her) was removed in March.
    The alpha male and two 5 month old pups were recently taken out leaving 1 more female and another this year pup.
    Pretty sure these last 2 will go as well. Tracks show they are still around looking for the rest of the tribe.
    This shows what wolf numbers can do. If last years pack of 7 had been left alone it would have consisted of 16 wolves in that pack today.
    That's one pack in a small corner of this province, now apply the math on a large scale.
    So your saying there was 2 breed females in the pack do you think that is a regular occurance or maybe something that just happens in smaller packs or where
    some have just been removed. I was just informed about an increase in a pack here, it had been staying around 4-5 last couple years but 2 were taking out last winter
    one of which was the alpha male according to the person that got them. so that left 3 but now according to trail cameras of others they have increased to 8. Have a friend in that area now
    so may no more at a later date.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    So your saying there was 2 breed females in the pack do you think that is a regular occurance or maybe something that just happens in smaller packs or where
    some have just been removed. I was just informed about an increase in a pack here, it had been staying around 4-5 last couple years but 2 were taking out last winter
    one of which was the alpha male according to the person that got them. so that left 3 but now according to trail cameras of others they have increased to 8. Have a friend in that area now
    so may no more at a later date.
    It's pretty common for more than one female in a group of wolves to breed and have pups.
    Its pretty common for each bitch wolf to have 4 to 6 pups or more.
    You, of all people should know that LBM.
    Im glad you have a friend.