Thread: Black bear kills boy in Utah.

Black bear kills boy in Utah.

SALT LAKE CITY, June 18 Hunters and wildlife officers in Utah killed a black bear Monday believed to be responsible for a fatal attack on an 11-year-old boy on a family camping trip.

The boy was sleeping in one corner of a tent when family members heard him scream around 11 p.m. Sunday night, The Salt Lake Tribune reported. His body was found 400 yards from the tent half an hour later.

Volunteer hunters joined the search for the bear, and wildlife officers also used hounds. A hunter shot and wounded an animal early Monday, and it was tracked and killed later in the morning.

The family, including the boy's mother, stepfather and younger brother, had camped in a primitive area in American Fork Canyon, about 30 miles from Salt Lake City.

Scott Root, a state conservation outreach manager, told the Tribune that another camper in the area reported earlier Sunday that a black bear attacked him. Root said that in both cases the bears were not interested in human prey but were attracted by the smell of food.

"He wasn't trying to get a kid," Root said.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Black bear kills boy in Utah.

What a shame ,i feel for the parents ,sad sad thing.

I wonder how they had their food stored. Still it is sad.

Middle to upper, lower fraser valley mountain

I have 2 young kids of my own and would really hate to see anything happen to them. My heart goes out to anyone that looses a family member in any way.......
    "The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

I'm a vegetarian. I eat things that eat vegetables..........

Definately sad. But, never leave your children un-attended while specially while in remote areas!

If the bear didn't intend the boy as food, why did the bear drag him away and not the so called food that lured it in?.

Bad deal in either light. Hopefully they got the right one.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Going into the bush hiking, camping, fishing or hunting etc, is a fun thing but it can be scarey too. I am so sorry to hear about this attack on the little boy, I know sometimes when I'm hiking the hills around Kamloops BC, I feel strange in the bush without some sort of protection. Even so a bear or cougar could attack at any time and surprize you. I'm very sorry for the family for their loss of a loved one. Jelvis

When our kids were little the wife and I always slept on the outside with them inside. When they got older and didn't want to sleep with mom and dad, we would sleep in the tent and they would sleep in the explorer.

It is a shame what happened to that kid