Thread: Any tips for a beginner hunting hares in the Bridge lake area?

Any tips for a beginner hunting hares in the Bridge lake area?

Heading out tomorrow morning in the bridge lake area to hunt rabbits for the first time. Probably going to the east and west king lake area just northeast of bridge lake.
    Any advice for a first timer?
    Cheers!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Any tips for a beginner hunting hares in the Bridge lake area?

Don't know the area and I haven't targeted rabbits specifically but I always see them right at first light and last light along roads. I would imagine if you found a deactivated road and walked it at first light you'd have some luck.

Good luck!

Well I saw one on the way to where I was planning on going and that was it for whole hares. After some walking in the woods I came across a gut pile so someone was successful at least.
    I found a fishing rod on my way back and put a thread up here looking for it's owner but no bites yet on that one.(haha)
    Also found an old log cabin that looked like some people still go there but I didn't have my GPS so I'm not sure which lake it was on. I waved at the trail cams I didn't see though and left it as I found it.

Quote Originally Posted by kebes View Post
    Don't know the area and I haven't targeted rabbits specifically but I always see them right at first light and last light along roads. I would imagine if you found a deactivated road and walked it at first light you'd have some luck.

Good luck!
    What he said...I haven't had as much success for hares on foot compared to driving FSR's....I find the best time for cruising the roads for rabbits is the magic hour- about the last hour before the last half hour of light..I believe that's when they like soaking up the last bit of heat off the roads, or something like that..the best roads for hares I find are the ones travelling between re-growth cutbblocks with trees at least 8-10' high, with lots of alder along the roadsides..