Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice for a new backpack deer hunter

Re: Advice for a new backpack deer hunter

Go for it. The alpine is an awesome place to be. I have hunted lillooeet alpine over the years and have found that just getting up in the country and camping where you need to be at first and last light is very beneficial. Even a simple overnighter gives you a good advantage versus hiking in and out daily

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    A little off the topic in terms of where to go but now that you've decided to get away from the beaten path or roads if I were you I would watch as many youtube videos as possible on the gutless method of dressing a deer. After all, you're already packing a substantial amount of gear into the bush so if you try to get an entire deer out of the bush (minus the guts, of course) that makes for a very heavy pack. Using the gutless method means you'll only have to carry out the meat and whatever bones are in the quarters, as well as the backstraps, the tenderloins, and neck meat. Your back/knees will thank you for it!

Just make sure you retain evidence of sex on one of the hind quarters, as well as identification for the type of deer it is you shot when using the gutless method. I wouldn't even take out the head (extra weight) but if it's 4 point only season (mule deer) you'll need the antlers,,,,, or if you want the antlers regardless of how many tines it has for a keepsake (a first deer memory). in any event, it is the easiest extraction method in terms of overall weight.
    Thanks master. I had looked into the gutless method before since after hunting last year I had wondered how guys haul a whole animal out of the back country. This is a good reminder to brush up on it and re-watch some videos

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    Go for it. The alpine is an awesome place to be. I have hunted lillooeet alpine over the years and have found that just getting up in the country and camping where you need to be at first and last light is very beneficial. Even a simple overnighter gives you a good advantage versus hiking in and out daily

Yeah we're hoping to camp for a couple nights in the 3rd week of september. Seems like not only a more efficient way of doing things but a much more organic (maybe the wrong word?) way of doing things as well!

guest Guest

You want to go where the hikers are not going. Barkley for years has had too good of access and sees huge groups at times. To close to Whistler, has been promoted as a hiking destination. This has moved goats, mule deer and bear out of the area. Sure you might spot one, but ...... It's too easy for good game hunting. Used to be tougher, years ago. Get up into high alpine where hikers DONT go ....... Don't pick a popular trail for one thing.

Good luck. ...... I'd look Hurly, Bralorne, Goldbridge , Gun Lake, way ....... You need to GET AWAY from the crowds not with them.
    CT

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    probably run into many granola eaters if you stick to main hiking trails. Id head further east if I were you
    A lot of granola eaters I know have got real interested in hunting the last few years.