Thread: Where to hunt grouse with my son?

Where to hunt grouse with my son?

I live in Langley and my young son really wants to come hunting. Would like to go look for some grouse but ad he is quite young (4), I don't want to spend hours in the car. Any where around Chilliwack etc worth checking?

Not looking for specific spots, just general areas. If my son enjoys it, I'll get to go out way more (selfish ambition I know. ..)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Where to hunt grouse with my son?

Spend 2.5hrs and go up off the coquihalla, as by the time you get to somewhere where there might be a grouse in chilliwack fsr roads you will have been in the truck at least that.

I have seen them in the Harrison area, but it was a couple years ago... and there are lots of people up there. If you could find some less busy trails up there, go for a nice walk. drive up higher if you can. try to be in the spruce/pines.
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    Spend 2.5hrs and go up off the coquihalla, as by the time you get to somewhere where there might be a grouse in chilliwack fsr roads you will have been in the truck at least that.

Thanks... yep thought as much. Always see grouse when hunting for deer, was just hoping for something closer to home with my son so he doesn't get too bored.

Might try doing some rabbit hunting instead...

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    Thanks... yep thought as much. Always see grouse when hunting for deer, was just hoping for something closer to home with my son so he doesn't get too bored.

A lot of the time when you get into the hills in the early evening to hunt rabbits you'll find grouse too...if it's a sunny day especially.
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

In my Region 2 areas, I have only seen 2 on the road/trails this season... well, technically 3 if I count the road kill ruffie I found on the way out on Sunday. Also flushed a dozen or so a couple of times (same place) in the timber. Seems like a slow year for my hunting grounds. Last year I had seen a few dozen on the road alone by this point.

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post

where does one look for rabbits around here? I am new to BC.

Lots of bunnies and grouse in the Princeton area.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    Lots of bunnies and grouse in the Princeton area.
    Yea I started my kids at 3, short trips to East Gate usually some grouse depending on the year but lots of rabbits in the evening. Young kids are usually good with camping overnight. The worst that happens is they fall asleep in the truck during the day. I'd just do an over nighter up the Coq

Quote Originally Posted by Dodo23 View Post
    where does one look for rabbits around here? I am new to BC.
    Princeton area is good, head to Hope, exit Manning Park hit some logging roads off the highway. Bigger areas before Princeton are Whipsaw and Placier Lake FSR
    http://apps.gov.bc.ca/pub/dmf-viewer...426547181&z=12