Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sheep caliber

Re: Sheep caliber

Quote Originally Posted by 604ksmith View Post
    No real feelers for the 308 other than GateHouse?

I know it's not the trendy cartridge now, but I think it's still a good combo being a short action 30cal.
    I think it's a good choice, thats why I'm trying a new Howa in 308, should work well.
    Lord, Please help me to become half the man my Dog thinks I am..

Stones' are not tough to kill, but Grizz can be. I draw the line at 6.5mm...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

on last years goat hunt my 7mmwsm felt small when we had a big grizz buzz our camp. sometimes a little extra can be handy when your walking in bear country or if you happen to have an oppertunity on a goat while sheep hunting a little extra helps on those thick haired buggers
    Last edited by ditch donkey; 07-30-2016 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
    this is my theory on that, the shot on a charging grizzly is going to be frontal and <20 yards. And perhaps the most heavily muscled and heavy boned portion of the animal.

Berger and Amax are in there element at distances exceeding 2-300 yards due to their expansion characteristics...At 20 yards or less you will get massive expansion and the bear will likely receive 100% of the rounds energy BUT there is a better than average chance that penetration is gonna be shallow and the bear will live a long time, mind you it's going to have a massive gaping flesh wound. If the bear doesn't turn, or comes back, you will have to fight it fisticuffs for a good long time

With something like a Barnes TSX or equivalent you will likely have enough penetration to get into the vitals, if it doesn't turn or comes back, you might survive the attack long enough for it to die....

For guys that wanna shoot the Bergers, just load up half a dozen rounds of something more robust for packing meat or bucking brush i.e.: up close encounters..
    After, my first BCFS Lookout, 90 straight days in the Flathead, no breaks and with my first really fine new rifle, a Browning FN-LE .30-06, I came to much this opinion. Within 3+ months of that season's end, I decided that for working alone in remote Grizzly country and hunting there, more muscle was a wise way to roll.

In January, 1968, in Nelson, I found and bought an unfired P-64 Mod. 70 Alaskan, .338WM and found it easy to shoot well and definitely a "step up" from an '06. I have that rifle now, have used it on AFS L/0s, five+ months solo in Grizz country and I trust it like no other. A 250NPt. at a chrono'd 2750 fps-mv. DOES the job and is not bad to shoot.

So, Brambles, and I agree and my other choice in this situation is the handloaded 9.3x62-286 NPts. I believe in using the "most gun" you can for everything when in Grizz country.....most of BC. Each to his own, but, in about a dozen Grizz kills I have witnessed, what Brambles has to say seems pretty damn sound to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    I have NO "young relatives" now who are interested in guns, hunting or shooting of any type. I do have some who hunt, but, are very well off and have the guns they want.

I fully intend to live past 100 and wear out every gun I currently have, no point in hoarding them for others!

That said, I have sold about a dozen very choice pieces over the past five years and wish to sell several others, for example, I have a matched pair of VERY cherry P-64s, in .300/.375H&H, lots of brass, Noslers, ect. and in Rimrock stocks by Mitch-----you NEED these and my price would be very fair. So, YOU would be "smiling"!
    Do you need a not so young relative intrested in guns. I could call you dad,uncle,gramps, brother, son or grandson. Lol.
    My sheep hunting rifle was going to be a 338 win mag just because out of all my rifles I shoot it the best and most along with a lot more confidence in it.

.257 Roberts ... hope to send a 117 grain Nosler ram-bound in a few days!

Quote Originally Posted by Norwestalta View Post
    Do you need a not so young relative intrested in guns. I could call you dad,uncle,gramps, brother, son or grandson. Lol.
    My sheep hunting rifle was going to be a 338 win mag just because out of all my rifles I shoot it the best and most along with a lot more confidence in it.
    Good logic here, go with what you are most comfortable with.... you can't go wrong..
    Lord, Please help me to become half the man my Dog thinks I am..

that is probably one of the very best sheep goat antelope calibers out there flat shooter lots of energy even more speed that would be my number one pick or the new 270 wsm I have been reading a lot about I think I might buy one!
    Quote Originally Posted by ramcam View Post
    My sheep killing was done with my 7MM Remington mag, 140 and 160 grain bullets.