Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossbow Help Requested.

Re: Crossbow Help Requested.

Quote Originally Posted by SSG-man View Post
    There's also a new 10 point entry level XR175 lb recurve that looks interesting.
    Any properties or features that set it apart?
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Where is she on the Island?
    If anywhere Nanaimo, have her go to Wholesale sports where she can talk to people who know and try out the different bows.
    Using a string for loading the bows is mandatory for accuracy on all cross bows.
    The comments before are accurate. IronNoggin is a pro. Re-read his post.
    Last edited by 358win; 07-22-2016 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrey Boy View Post
    Any properties or features that set it apart?
    Other than it is cheaper and has a rope cocker with the package, I'm not sure what else.
    It's a Centerpoint not 10pt.

I'd like to also try the hobby without spending 1000 bucks or more, only to hang it on the wall or have to pass on a good deal to someone else later.

x2 on the excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by SSG-man View Post
    Other than it is cheaper and has a rope cocker with the package, I'm not sure what else.
    It's a Centerpoint not 10pt.

I'd like to also try the hobby without spending 1000 bucks or more, only to hang it on the wall or have to pass on a good deal to someone else later.
    This is her line of thinking too. Good for passing on to another new hunter, whether she decides to upgrade or abandon it.
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

How much pull do you think? I can lift her up by her belt and her brastrap no problem (160lbs) but she can't do me by belt and collar (225lbs). I think 280lb pull might be excessive, but she just pointed out that if she gets an upscale model, it might as well have power for larger animals.

I also have a excaliber crossbow and I do not use that either. It sits in the closet to. I do not like to use the crank device as it is to loud.
    For me I hunted in the bush with the excaliber crossbow and you have to make sure it does not bang on trees. More awkward to carry then a rifle. The excaliber is more accurate then the Barnett crossbow. Well the ones I have anyways.
    It really comes down to what your wife wants not what you want her to have.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

^ Yeah, she didn't like me trying to improve on her plan. I think I'll get her the bow she asked for.

Arrow Re: Crossbow Help Requested.

... I think I'll get her the bow she asked for.
    You / She will most likely be looking for a "Real" Bow in short order if she happens to like the sport.
    Really.

Would there be some detailed difference between the Barnett and Excalibur? This wife of mine primarily hunts with an SKS on the Island; she's not necessarily into aesthetic refinement. Durability and lower maintainance appeal to her.
    Yup, there are many detailed differences.
    The Barnett is an Entry Level (read bottom end) bow.
    The Excalibur is a high end bow and the Quality is much higher all round.
    The Barnett has wheels and will need to go to the shop for string changes, cam setting, timing issues etc etc.
    The Excalibur can easily be set up by anyone with a little knowledge, doesn't have those pesky wheels, and quite likely will never have to see a shop.
    The Barnett has a somewhat limited warranty.
    The Excalibur is fully warranted for the life of the BOW.

Excalibur is the true definition of Tough, Reliable, Durable and greatly reduced maintenance requirements.

You would be doing her a favor to at least let her handle the various Excaliburs out there before collecting a low end starter bow.
    For one her size, I would highly recommend one of the Micro series. Small, but extremely accurate and power to spare. Most folks her size can cock them easily with Excalibur's rope cocking device (cuts the amount of strain by over 1/2 and ensures proper loading for accuracy).

Just some thoughts...
    Hate to see anyone turned off form the sport simply by starting off with a lesser piece of equipment is all...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Nog, this Recruit he means is an entry level recurve

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/57399/...kage-w-red-dot