Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossbow Help Requested.

Crossbow Help Requested.

My wife took me out to Cabela's last night and showed me a Barnett Recruit crossbow with a draw weight of 150lbs that she would like for hunting season.

Does anyone have any reviews/advice. She'd like to use it for Island blacktail and rabbits.

This is all new to me, but I've basically been asked to make it happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Crossbow Help Requested.

I have a basic Excalibur from a couple years ago that works for me, but no expert.

Arrow Re: Crossbow Help Requested.

The Recruit is an "Entry Level" crossbow.
    It is actually a 130 pound bow than can (under ideal conditions) produce up to 300 fps.
    It is rather inexpensive, and you will find that with crossbows, as with much else in life, you get what you pay for.

Google it's reviews. Some are happy (new to crossbows largely) a lot are not.

I realize this will make your Lady happy, but might she not be even happier with a quality bow?
    I mean would you prefer an entrance level rifle over one of quality?

Good Luck with your decision.

Cheers,
    Noig
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Stay away from the Barnett stuff, junk! Buy excalibur and you'll never regret it
    Don't worry about a pandemic, stupidity is spreading way faster

Make sure your wife can pull the crossbow back by herself. With my Barnett crossbow I can pull it back but after awhile my arms get sore. As I am short 5' tall. So basically it just sits in the corner of the house and does not get used. And another thing is since she is a women make sure she does not have long fingernails she'll bend one back cocking the crossbow and believe me that does not feel nice.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by nature girl View Post
    Make sure your wife can pull the crossbow back by herself. With my Barnett crossbow I can pull it back but after awhile my arms get sore. As I am short 5' tall. So basically it just sits in the corner of the house and does not get used. And another thing is since she is a women make sure she does not have long fingernails she'll bend one back cocking the crossbow and believe me that does not feel nice.
    Are you just pulling on the string or are you using a pulling device.

Bhb
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Quote Originally Posted by nature girl View Post
    I have a feeling she tried this same item that someone we both know already owns, and that she saw it on sale in the Cabela's flyer. She is 5'1", but stoutly built with more than enough torque in her limbs.

Thanks for the advice.
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

I would suggest she try pulling and shooting an Excalibur before making a purchase.

I tried numerous compound crossbows before buying my Excalibur. I've used it for a number of years and love it.

Would there be some detailed difference between the Barnett and Excalibur? This wife of mine primarily hunts with an SKS on the Island; she's not necessarily into aesthetic refinement. Durability and lower maintainance appeal to her.

There's also a new 10 point entry level XR175 lb recurve that looks interesting.