Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow hunting packs. What do you carry?

Bow hunting packs. What do you carry?

Okay so I have read through stuff here allot not much of a commenter or poster as I'm still learning but I don't personally know allot of bow hunters(or hunters) so I figured this would be a great place to get some info.

I will be taking my core here hopefully be able to hunt with my bow fairly quick after I get the course done. I have been shooting my bow for over a year now.

my main question is what do you guys take with you when you go hunting besides the bow. 1 knife or 2 or a whole kit for gutting and skinning. I know I'll learn a fair chunk from core but wanted to see what everyone is packing just so I can get set up.

my plan is to hunt in region 8 likely to be 8-10, 8-11, possibly 8-8 and 8-9. I will be based in Kelowna or the west side. So if anyone wants to let me tag along and I can fit it in with school I'd be glad to go. I'm here to learn. I move at the end of august.

since I am talkin archery I'll explain the bow set up.
    Pse bowmadness 32
    60lbs draw weight
    30" draw length
    Qad ultra hdx arrow rest.
    Spot hogg hog it sight. 5 pin.
    True flight release.
    I have easton aftermath and carbon express blue streak plus Arrows which I'll be adding 100gr fixed broad heads too.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bow hunting packs. What do you carry?

I just picked up a Tenzing 2200 pack from basspro it has nice weapon transport options and you could probably fit the hind quarters in it. They make a nice integrated hydration pack too. I usually bring two knives, trail marking tape for tracking blood, wet naps for blood or the other thing and a few lengths or rope for dragging. Good luck move slow and don't drag your feet.
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.” -John James Audubon

I use a badlands superday pack with hydration pack inside.

water,food.granola bars etc.
    deer drag,buck 110 knife,game saw,gutting knife,havalon,
    flagging tape/ compass. powder to check wind,
    space blanet,fire starer kit,tick puller ,
    headlamp,mag lights,small first aid kit,the straw water filtration,
    Last edited by SWD; 08-01-2016 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lozzie View Post
    I just picked up a Tenzing 2200 pack from basspro it has nice weapon transport options and you could probably fit the hind quarters in it. They make a nice integrated hydration pack too. I usually bring two knives, trail marking tape for tracking blood, wet naps for blood or the other thing and a few lengths or rope for dragging. Good luck move slow and don't drag your feet.
    second vote for a tenzing 2200, love mine!

I have an eberlestock team elk, really well made pack but the aluminium frame leaves a bit to be desired. It can haul meat but you have to put it inside your pack rather than between your pack and back.

I also have a SJK bounty 4500, not as well made as the team elk BUT it has some features I like better like load shelf/modular system. Im doing some weighted hikes with both to decide which will make it into the back country with me in september.

I pack a small first aid kit, fire starting equipment, both packs hold a hydration bladder. I have a havalon piranta with some spare blades for the field dressing and always bring some kind of heavy duty knife. Game bags, some paracord/rope.

I also run the Tenzing 2200 for my day pack... And have a TZ6000 for multiday trips..

Thankyou everyone for the great input.

The Tenzing 2200 seems to be the best vote, I will be looking out for one. For now I will use a hiking bag but I appreciate all the responses with everything you carry as well.

I do have most of it but going to be stopping in at cabela's or wholesale sports on my way to kelowna to get a few items next week.

Eberlestock X1A2. I love this bag, my favourite day trip pack.

Just ordered one of these to carry my bow on my Tenzing and be able to get it off quickly...

www.bowsnatcher.com

Not a bow hunter, but I got a badlands 2800?
    Its a nice bag but a bit big for a day pack. I end up putting usless sh#t in it and it becomes a nuisance when in the thick bush.
    One pack I want to buy is a tanzig 1200 daypack. enough for the basics and won't get caught up in the bush.
    When you drop a deer grab the pack frame from truck.