Thread: Black Bear Roast in pressure Cooker

Question Black Bear Roast in pressure Cooker

Hi,

Ok so I have cooked black bear before many times various methods all turned out great until today. I got a good regular pressure cooker (ie: not the new electric type). So decided to try a bear roast for the first recipe. Couldn't actually find a recipe anywhere so based the timing off a pork roast which worked out to 30 mins for a 1 lb roast.

It was contracted like a flexed bicep when I opened the cooker, and yet the thermometer read only 108! So I cooked it another 30 mins and it read 133. I gave up at that point since it was so late and my husband was less than impressed to say the extreme least. I have never in our 19 years of marriage had a flop like this. So the only thing I can come up with is either it had too much liquid (I added 2 cups home made bison broth in with the veggies) and/or it needs to cook allot longer.

I am not new to pressure canning (love my all American!) but pressure cooking is a new thing. So am I doing something way off base?? Too much liquid? Not enough time? Something totally different??

Any tips would be awesome! 😊👍🏻

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Black Bear Roast in pressure Cooker

Cook it longer, make sure you have enough liquids. Get the rocker a rocking for 60-90 minutes depending on size.
    I will look done after 30 minutes but as you say looks a flexed bicep. Not tender.

Another easy way is 8 - 10 hrs. in a slow cooker.
    Last edited by 358win; 07-20-2016 at 10:56 AM.

if my wife ever messed up a meal like that shed be sleeping with the dogs....

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    if my wife ever messed up a meal like that shed be sleeping with the dogs....
    Tough talk buddy. LOL. I've been there.

We all have to learn at some point.
    Bear roasts and Pressure cookers can be a real challenge.
    Thank you for your post ajeatoo.

I hope lots of others have just learned some things too!

If my wife messes up a meal I follow the advice I give my kids. Eat it fast to get it over with. Her standards are higher than mine so rarely an issue.

guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 358win View Post

Another easy way is 8 - 10 hrs. in a slow cooker.
    first brown the roast all sides ........ Put it in a slow cooker with a wack of herbs, Rosemary, garlic, basil, oregano, beef broth, onion, celery ........ Cook for the day .... 6 hours or more, serve with a wack of white spuds and vavoom.

CT