Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where in the kootenays for white tails?

Where in the kootenays for white tails?

Im hoping someone can point me in the right direction for a whitetail hunt in the kootenays, I'd more than likely be going in the first week of October but im not sure where to go, i usually stick around region 3 so basically anything out that way is totally new. Maybe someone would want to get together and give me a bit of a tour around?

Anyways if anyone could share a little to get me started that'd be awesome.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Where in the kootenays for white tails?

They are like rats around creston, I saw many many many over the course of a week.

Where in the Kootenays are you thinking? east or west? east Kootenays is a long way for a white tail but if you happen to carry an elk tag you never know.I have hunted 4-22 decent area but be prepared to put some miles on your boots.
    90% Residents / 10% Aliens.
    I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong. twisted:
    B.S. never flows so easily as during an election campaign.: Mr. green:

Region 4-09 isn't bad...4-32 used to be good, but with the 2 WT doe limit, I can say that was one area that from my observations, was hammered..

Quote Originally Posted by SAVAGEONE View Post
    Where in the Kootenays are you thinking? east or west? east Kootenays is a long way for a white tail but if you happen to carry an elk tag you never know.I have hunted 4-22 decent area but be prepared to put some miles on your boots.
    Definitely take an Elk tag with you, as I agree, it's a long way to go, and man, would you be kicking yourself if 6pt popped up in
    front of you.
    Depends where you are headed....south end or north end, east or west of the Columbia River?
    If you have an area in mind, look to see on google if it has new to say 10 year old clearcuts, which is
    always a good place for WT.
    I wouldn't expect to see big bucks though, as they tend to be pretty good at being elusive, but a small buck should be
    obtainable, if your patient enough.
    Between Golden and Invermere have WT for sure, but you have to be careful about private land.
    Even if your not successful, you'll love the view!

Quote Originally Posted by SAVAGEONE View Post
    I was thinking west kootenays, i was thinking i should bring an elk tag, with my luck id see something legal and not be able to shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by russm View Post
    I was thinking west kootenays, i was thinking i should bring an elk tag, with my luck id see something legal and not be able to shoot it.
    West Kootenay in a lot thicker bush than the EK. Tons of whites left in the EK but with all the pressure from the last few years of doe season they actually act like white tails! Truck hunting (trunting) produces less sightings than boots on the ground. Good Luck!
    KCCO

Whitetail hunting in the west kootenays is not worth driving for period, but if your dead set on it good luck

Rhyno, what do you call canoe hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by mattmckay View Post
    Rhyno, what do you call canoe hunting?

I got this one: C U N T I N G ...amirite?!?!?
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand