Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenting in Grizzly territory

Re: Tenting in Grizzly territory

I leave my food in the tent with no fence.. Never have problems. I usually store all my garbage under a rock until we leave. No rifles either. Best thing you can do is earplugs. If you can't hear it, it won't be on your mind, and the chances of it actually happening are fairly slim.
    Thunderstick Moab hybrid longbow T/D 58" 52#@28". Jim Reynolds
    Crow Creek Crow Mag hybrid longbow 3/pc 60" 51#@28". Elmer Patton

Field editor @ Journal of Mountain Hunting

If your camped on a spur road with your truck in camp at night take your remote to bed with you. Hear huffing and popping start up the truck, honk honk. then hit the panic button. Then unzip slowly for a look see.
    I heard it said some people take there remote starters to bed with them at home so if they wake up to some ghoul breaking in. Hit the panic button.

That's a wicked goat Goat Poker!!!!

My thinkin was, I snore so loud that it keeps the bears away but I might be in danger from a dude with a scatter gun....
    "Pimpin' aint easy"

The snoreing will attract bears..first they hone in on your camp smells and when near hone in on the snore.
    I sleptin cabin wall tents for 25 yrs, 25 miles off the Alaska hyway.Ive Swung my arm wildly against the side of the tent late at night on many occasions,one where the bear bit threw the canvas and was pulling me and my sleeping back in an attempt to extricate me from my dwelling..

takla
    If it don't have a throttle,tits or a trigger I'm pretty much uninterested
    Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBC View Post
    I leave my food in the tent with no fence.. Never have problems..
    Seems to me that this is just not a smart thing to do. Is it not just as simple to store your food somewhere else, where you know for certain won't encourage a potential bear encounter when you are least prepared to deal with one?

Seems a tad careless.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 07-25-2016 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Seems to me that this is just not a smart thing to do. Is it not just as simple to store your food somewhere else, where you know for certain won't encourage a potential bear encounter when you are least prepared to deal with one?

Seems a tad careless.
    Early on in our hunting days we used to enjoy a little late night camp action from bears until one day we left our grouse stew on the camp stove so we would have a warm ready lunch wait our return to camp.We had our cook tent linked in front of our wall tent attached.We had plywood floors and counters built in there.Well came back around noon to find the stew pot on the floor and the floor was licked clean .He disrupted a few things but damage was not too bad.
    Another time a buddy from Ft.Nelson came in to camp a few days with us and hunt.He set up a pup tent next to our unit.He made the mistake of leaveing a container of mozza cheese open in there.We killed that bear that day when we returned to camp...his tent was pooched!

takla
    If it don't have a throttle,tits or a trigger I'm pretty much uninterested
    Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post

Seems a tad careless.
    I don't have the glamours of cook tent shacks and fresh food every night. Mountain house, protein bars, and oatmeal.. Not much for scent. I live in a tent for 4-5 months of the year, and I've never had myself or a client in danger.

just saying what works for me Ron. Be as careful as you want.

Your comment irritated me enough that I sound like BgBlkDg in that last post.. I apologize to you all in advance!

Laffin......