Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenting in Grizzly territory

Re: Tenting in Grizzly territory

I have one of those C.T. Eliminator powerbox's and some compact flourecsent bulbs wired up and ready to go. Just touch the inverter switch and the whole camp is lit up. Place it where I can easily reach it to turn on the light then grab the gun. Its way too heavy to pack on a carry on your back trip but if your boating in or on the quads its pretty easy. Nice to get into bed then turn the lights out too.

I had an experience with a Grizzly coming to the tent about 5 years ago while camping up on Todagin mountain. Had an interesting dream one night where a Grizzly was popping his teeth and snarling at me, it felt so real that it woke me up. It was in the early morning, as I sat up, eyes wide open and thought that was a scary ass dream! Then, as I sat there in my tent, I heard the exact same popping and snarling noise again! I suddenly came to the realization that this was no dream!
    My partners in the tent beside me (an experienced mountain hunter) had heard the bear as well and aggressively yelled back at the bear "HEY!!!" I unzipped the tent door and watched the Grizzly bear running away down the hill...lucky we were armed with only bows and arrows!

Act aggressive when a curious bear comes to visit, if you're in that scenario yell, growl; make him rethink!
    "A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be"

Fred Bear

Nothing more creepy than bears hanging around camp, makes it hard to relax. A good trick if you have a problem bear is get a bear spray and put some bacon grease on it then leave it just out of camp. The bruin will get a spicy bite!

List of Fatal Black bear attacks[edit]

Name, age, gender Date Type Location Description
    Daniel Ward O'Connor, 27, male May 10, 2015 Wild nearMackenzie, British Columbia Ward was killed by a bear while he slept near the fire pit at his campsite. His fiancée who slept in a nearby motorhome discovered his partially consumed body the following morning. The bear was later shot and killed by conservation officers.[7][8]
    Darsh Patel, 22, male September 21, 2014 Wild near West Milford, New Jersey Patel was about to begin hiking with four friends in Apshawa Preserve when they met a man and a woman at the entrance who told them there was a bear nearby and advised them to turn around.[9] They continued on, found the bear, and Patel and another hiker took photos. They turned and began walking away, but the bear followed them. The hikers ran in different directions, and found that Patel was missing when they regrouped. Authorities found Patel's body after searching for two hours. A black bear found in the vicinity was killed.[10] According to the State Department of Environmental Protection, this was the first fatal bear attack on a human in New Jersey on record.[10]
    Lorna Weafer, 36, female May 7, 2014 Wild near Fort McMurray, Alberta Weafer, a Suncor worker was attacked at the remote North Steepbank oil sands mine site while walking back to work after a trip to the washroom. Efforts by co-workers to scare off the bear were unsuccessful. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police shot and killed the bear upon arrival. A preliminary investigation determined that the attack was predatory.[11]
    Robert Weaver, 64, male June 6, 2013 Wild George Lake near Delta Junction, Alaska Weaver was attacked by a black bear while walking back to his cabin on George Lake, according to his wife, who was able to flee inside the cabin and was uninjured. A 230 lb (104.3 kg) adult male black bear on the scene was killed by troopers and found to have some of Weaver's remains in his stomach.[12]
    Lana Hollingsworth, 61, female July 25, 2011 Wild Pinetop-Lakeside, Arizona Hollingsworth was attacked by a 250 lb (113.4 kg) black bear while walking her dog at a country club. Nearly a month later and after eleven surgeries, she died from a massive brain hemorrhage, which doctors believe was a result of the attack. The bear was tracked, shot, and killed.[13]
    Bernice Adolph, 72, female June 2011 Wild near Lillooet, British Columbia Adolph's remains were found by police dogs after she was reported missing. She was an elder in the Xaxli'p First Nation. There was evidence that bears fed on Adolph's remains, and tried to enter her house. An autopsy confirmed that she died from a bear attack. Five bears suspected of being involved were killed by conservation officers, and DNA tests confirmed that one of the dead bears killed Adolph.[14]
    Brent Kandra, 24, male August 19, 2010 Captive Columbia Station, Ohio Kandra was a bear caretaker on property that kept exotic pets. The bear was out of its cage for feeding. Prior to the attack, the property's owner had his license to exhibit animals revoked, but was still allowed to keep the animals on his property.[15]

List of fatal Brown bear attacks[edit]

Name, age, gender Date Type Location Description
    Lance Crosby, 63, male August 7, 2015 Wild Yellowstone National Park,Wyoming Crosby, an employee at a medical clinic in the park, was reported missing when he did not report for work. A park ranger found his body in a popular off-trail area less than a mile from Elephant Back Loop Trail, an area he was known to frequent. His body was partially consumed and covered. Puncture wounds on his arms indicated he had tried to defend himself. Based on the presence of a sow grizzly and a cub in the area, the sow was deemed responsible for the attack. The sow was captured and euthanized after it was found to be the bear that killed Crosby.[17][18] There were public appeals to not kill the sow, but the park superintendent decided there was a risk the sow might kill again; based on July 6, 2011 and August 24, 2011 killings in the park, where another sow was present at both those killings.[19]
    Ken Novotny, 53, male September 17, 2014 Wild near Norman Wells, Northwest Territories While on a hunting trip near Normal Wells, Novotny was charged and struck by a bear. Friends reported Novotny had just killed a moose and was prepping his prize when the bear "came out of nowhere." He died on the scene. Authorities later found and killed the bear responsible for his death.[20]
    Rick Cross, 54, male September 7, 2014 Wild Kananaskis Country,Alberta Cross, a hunter, was killed by a mother bear when he accidentally got between her and her cubs. His body was found near his backpack. RCMP said it appeared he wandered into the area where the mother and cub were feeding on a dead deer.[21]
    Adam Thomas Stewart, 31, male September 4, 2014 Wild Bridger-Teton National Forest,Wyoming Stewart was conducting research alone in the Bridger-Teton National Forest in northwest Wyoming. After he failed to return, a search found his body.[22] The coroner suspects it was a grizzly bear, but the species hasn't officially been determined.
    Richard White, 49, male August 24, 2012 Wild Denali National Park, Alaska White was backpacking alone along the Toklat River. After hikers found an abandoned backpack and torn clothing, rangers investigated and found a male grizzly bear sitting on White's remains. The bear was shot and killed by an Alaska State Trooper. A necropsy of the bear and photographs recovered from White's camera confirmed the attack.[23]The photographs in White's camera showed that he was taking photos of the bear in a span of eight minutes from 50 yards (46 m) to 100 yards (91 m).[24] It was the first fatal bear attack recorded in Denali National Park.[23]
    Tomas Puerta, 54, male October 2012 Wild Chichagof Island, Alaska After passers-by spotted an unattended skiff, they investigated and encountered a grizzly bear sow and two cubs. Alaska State troopers and Sitka Mountain rescue personnel then found evidence of a campsite and fire on the beach. There was evidence of a struggle, and upon following a trail of disturbed vegetation, they found Puerta's body, cached and partially eaten.[25]
    Brian Matayoshi, 57, male July 6, 2011 Wild Yellowstone National Park,Wyoming Matayoshi and his wife were hiking the Wapiti Lake Trail, and came upon a mother grizzly bear in an open meadow. The couple began to walk away, and the bear charged. After attempting to run away, Matayoshi was fatally bitten and clawed. Matayoshi's wife hid behind a tree, was lifted from the ground by the bear, and dropped. She played dead, and the bear left the area. She was not injured.[31][32]An initial investigation by the National Park Service found the bear's actions were defensive against a perceived threat to her cubs. Since the attack was not predatory and the bear had no known violent history towards humans, no immediate action was taken towards the bear, the bear was later euthanized after it was found to be at the site of another fatal attack August 24, 2011.[29][31][32] A later investigation determined that the couple running from the bear was a mistake, and the fatal attack was a "one in 3 million occurrence".[33]

Eat your dinner a few miles away from where you are going to set up camp this way your not cooking at your camp set up,,no food around camp and get a pack alarm the alarm will wake you up if a predator hits the line set up around your tent,,don't camp near any game trails and don't camp near rivers or lake shores

sleep with a loaded gun and a good bright flashlight have a bear banger and bear spray beside you,, try to sleep with one eye open and the other one asleep LOL good luck on your hunt stay safe this fall when out there in God's land....
    Last edited by hunter1947; 07-20-2016 at 04:37 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

There's lots more, but you get the drift.....

The problem with yelling at unidentified bears in the middle of the night is that if it happens to be a sow with cubs the sow will Immediately attack where the yelling comes from to defend her cubs. Nothing better than a good dog.
    I have no fear... angels follow me wherever I go.
    Big & Rich

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    Nothing more creepy than bears hanging around camp, makes it hard to relax. A good trick if you have a problem bear is get a bear spray and put some bacon grease on it then leave it just out of camp. The bruin will get a spicy bite!
    bear spray is proven to be an attractant and the spice doesn't bother them one but. Plenty of people have tried spraying their coolers and what not only to find the Bears licking the spray.

So, from what I can see, the odds of being killed are actually pretty remote considering the number of people in the bush on any given day.