Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenting in Grizzly territory

Re: Tenting in Grizzly territory

Well whilst campn in any cunree I always gots the 12g sxs at my side, action open of course. (Buck shot)

I wonder if a strobe flashlight would bung up a bear's vision like it does with people?

I sleep rifle right next to me, with the bolt open slightly, just gotta lock and pop. Haven't ever had major issues with bears other than being robbed.

Take some hamburger and make a dozen meatballs. Place them around the perimeter of your camp, so when a bear hits them, he goes around your camp and not through it.

I sleep without a tent, a dog on either side and something under my pillow.

You should consider seeing a psychologist to get over your fears. Statistically, all you have is a phobia of something that will probably never happen. Take precautions, bring a dog if possible, and a big gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Personally, I would be very reluctant to store my food 200 yards away....particularly in the alpine where there are no trees around. If a bear gets your food your trip could come to an abrupt end and if it's two or three days back to the drop point you'll regret not protecting your food better.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Eat lots of beans. BEANSH!!!! Splaaaarphhhhhh Keeeps em away. Smells too much like trouble. Works every time. Beensche. C'mon you can even get the wife into faaaarting outloud. Oooh baby.
    Last edited by Glenny; 07-18-2016 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Personally, I would be very reluctant to store my food 200 yards away....particularly in the alpine where there are no trees around. If a bear gets your food your trip could come to an abrupt end and if it's two or three days back to the drop point you'll regret not protecting your food better.
    I wouldn't do that either. Alpine hunts my food usually stays in the vestibule or outside under the siltarp. Will have to deal with a bear if it happens I guess, but haven't had a problem yet. Never hurts having the dog with me.

Quote Originally Posted by finngun View Post
    Camp with buddy who is limping badly..so ya can outrun him
    Or hit him in the knee with the camp ax.

Speaking from experience having a Gbear coming into your tent is one scary time. I now put food 30 yards or so from camp 20' up a tree if possible. Sleep with the rifle loaded in the tent and with a headlamp strapped to my head. I too have a pack alarm and haven't had anything trigger it yet other than tree branches.
    Live to Hunt...