Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Tenting in Grizzly territory

Re: Tenting in Grizzly territory

Quote Originally Posted by klondiker View Post
    I used it on three hunts last fall for bighorns, simple to set-up, it comes with 4 or 5 velcro straps (about the circumference of a hockey puck) and attached is a plastic o-ring, about the size of a quarter, and it has a slit in it to allow you to slide the sensing line into it. Then all I do is find trees small enough to attach the velcro straps too, if I can't make smaller trees work, I just push some sturdy and large enough sticks into the ground and attach the straps that way.

I've never once had it triggered by wind, and it's worked great. I just disconnect the battery (it has a space inside the cover) when I'm not using it and I always carry a spare incase the battery I'm using dies. And I test the system every night before going to sleep, to make sure the battery is good to go. It's super easy to set up and can make any shape perimeter you want. I just secure it to the trees or sticks at about a 2 foot height, so it's easy to step over when you're crossing over it

sounds great. Has it ever warned you of a bear or other critter in camp? Also, how far from the tent do you set up the perimeter? Last but not least, how did your sheep hunt go?

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    sounds great. Has it ever warned you of a bear or other critter in camp? Also, how far from the tent do you set up the perimeter? Last but not least, how did your sheep hunt go?
    It has warned me of one bear, and I usually set it up 30-50 feet away from the tent. I try to set up my tent with a natural barrier behind it, so if the bear comes in, it can only come towards one side of the tent. And the sheep hunt went good in the sense of seeing sheep, a few were close to legal but alittle too close too call. And I'd like my first bighorn to be alittle further past legal, as it will be the only one I probably ever get because next October I'll be moving up to the Yukon. So I'll be hunting hard for one again, this upcoming season.

Fell free to pm me. Always love talking about sheep hunting, if you're into that.

Quote Originally Posted by klondiker View Post
    It has warned me of one bear, and I usually set it up 30-50 feet away from the tent. I try to set up my tent with a natural barrier behind it, so if the bear comes in, it can only come towards one side of the tent. And the sheep hunt went good in the sense of seeing sheep, a few were close to legal but alittle too close too call. And I'd like my first bighorn to be alittle further past legal, as it will be the only one I probably ever get because next October I'll be moving up to the Yukon. So I'll be hunting hard for one again, this upcoming season.

Fell free to pm me. Always love talking about sheep hunting, if you're into that.
    That's one big lesson i learned from my last alpine adventure for mule deer. You might want to check out this thread with a write up of my terrifying bear scare:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...utside-my-tent

I set my tent up in the open as it was flat. Huge mistake. Definitely should have backed it into some trees leaving only one side as potential for a bear invasion. In the end it didn't even end up being flat enough, and i kept sliding off my matt down toward the bottom of the tent. Worst tent set up i've ever done in 20 years of pitching tents. lol.

We used a pack alarm on our EK goat hunting trip this past September. The line provided was able to encompass a pretty decent area around our three tent camp. We had at least one instance where the nightly mountain breeze set the alarm off, at least to our knowledge that was the cause. Let me tell you it scares the living S out of you hear that siren go off from a deep sleep.

If you use one I would recommend that you replace the line provided with neon braided fishing line. It is really easy to walk into the line by accident and we wound up damaging it at one point. Or tie flagging tape to it as suggested above. Also make sure you loop the line around trees that won't move at all in the wind. Up in the alpine all we had were small larch which was not ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    an existing hiking trail or active game trail? I'm wondering if camping next to a trail people use to access the alpine is a good or bad idea. Or whether it would even make a difference if the trail is seldom used.
    Whether a human trail or a game trail that meanders through the forest is moot. If it's there, all creatures great and small will use it at some point.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Not sure where you've been hunting but every Black Bear I've encountered close up has turn and ran once they winded me or got a good look at me.......Grizzly Bears on the other hand seem to have a different mind set, and we have dealt with many in the last 10 years where we elk hunt in the Kootenays, only one has needed a dirtnap !
    Ive spent the last 27 years on 1300 acres north east of Prince George, around the salmon valley area. Never had serious issues with Grizzlies yet have had more than my share with black bears. A lopsided population in my area affects the probability of an encounter yet there are no shortage of Grizzlies. This spring we counted 14 black bears in our fields in a single day. At least 7 different that day, so just by sheer numbers there will be more black bear issues I guess. Won't disagree that 99/100 black bears will turn tail though.

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    "Good hikers or alpine hunters"........well, may I ask how many of those "Pots and pans" and "coolers", you carry as a "hiker" and "alpine hunter"??????
    Always pack in pots and pan when backpacking, most areas we hunt around here you can drive into camp and be in the alpine in under an hour hiking. I don't see how one could pack a full cooler up an mountain or would assume that's what i was talking about that I was referring to the op and camping in general in general.
    Last edited by J_06; 01-12-2017 at 06:55 PM.

One of the biggest wake up calls following my encounter with a bear outside my tent was the fact that i couldn't see shit. It sucks just being a sittin duck in the dark like that. Got me thinking ..... how many of you skip the tent and use a tarp? At least if you hear a noise you can get that headlamp turned on quickly enough to see what you're dealing with.

From now on, i always sleep with headlamp on my head and gun next to me with one in the pipe. F*ck that. No exceptions.

I know that a tarp is a no go for extended sheep hunts where crappy weather would have you soaked in no time ... but thinking more about early season high country mule deer hunts. Plus, my tent weighs 5lb all packed up and a decent sized tarp would weigh maybe 2? 2.5?

Any thoughts? Anyone feel the same way?

Scanning through old threads and this one is a gooder...^^^^^I also when backpack hunting or camping sleep with my headlamp on and one in the chamber...at some point this year I'm gonna get that pack alarm, but til then, I just pack fishing line, wrap it around my area I'm sleeping, and suspend my army metal boiling cup from fishing line and throw in a few pebbles...have a very good but heavier (6.5 lb) tent for the crappier weather hike in camps, but am thinking of ordering this for the 1-2 day fair weather hike in camps:
    http://www.liteoutdoors.com/product/...FVKewAodNbYHFg

Like you said, should offer a better view of any intruder compared to an enclosed tent...

Read Gary Sheltons books. This guy knows his stuff. Don't be a Timothy Treadwell!

^^^^^^^ I agree, some of the best, realistic commenting on bear issues that I have ever read and advice that works!

Treadwell, was an example of the "bliss ninny" type so common when we old geezers here were young in the '60s and his demise and that of his GF were his fault due to a massive ego and extensive drug use..........