Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenting in Grizzly territory

Re: Tenting in Grizzly territory

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    Lord,

Your "advice" is NOT practical, could cause serious danger to any other novice who believes it and does not impress me as being based on actual, personal experience.

Very simply and based on field experience, hitting the often moving head of a Grizzly is VERY, VERY hard to do when under terrific stress and terrified.

I used to be a a rather "good" field shot with up to .375H&H rifles, this means five quick shots into 3.5" consistently at 100M and in front of witnesses. I regularly carried and shot CRF .338WM-250NP and .375H&H -300NP rifles/loads and shot most days when working isolated "Lookouts" for years for the BCFS and AFS.

When, as sometimes happened, I encountered a Grizzly up close on a L/O or in other bush work, while quite used to them, I would get pretty "adrenalized" and I could well miss my target. I always held for a LUNG-Aorta hit and have seen this work well on a number of Grizzlies and quite a few Blackies.

You may have more gun-bush-bear experience than I have amassed over 50+ years of bush whacking, but, I tend to doubt it and suspect that you have seldom if ever seen a Grizzly killed. I also wonder, with your previous comments about slugs at 200, etc, do you actually own and shoot a big game rifle?
    I have personally been to within 10 yards on Balck Bear and I think the closest ever for me Griz was some years back in 7A at out around thirty yds-ish (did not kill, have not tried Griz Hunting yet). They didn't attack and I didin't push the issue. We were good.

I am not going to get personal here on a puplic entertainment forum so it better suffice to say that I am not unexperienced in the realm of surviving life threatening circumstance. I am not a guy who reacts quite in the way you describe. Have you tried running a few K to get your heartrate up and then shooting, like a biathalon participant? Have you looked into such techniques? I also practice hitting such targets as a Bear head at least monthly (try some Cape Buff/dangerous game charge excersises on for size, plenty fun!).

Furthermore, anyone dumb enough to act in accordance with internet advice off an Entertainment based platform without taking responsibility for their own actions is out of it on a fundamental level. We are all responsible for our own actions and like you, I have not personally had to shoot a Bear in DLP. But none the less - killing is killing. Bears are not 10'+ tall and bulletproof or some type of immortal diety.

Now bg I am here for entertainment and do not dole out advice to others per se. Do what you want but I certainly did not have that kind of physical reaction around any Bear. Furthermore I have not ever had such a reaction to life threatening stimuli to where I didn't function as you mentioned. It's actually quite fun!

Your accusations are false Sir. None the less, thanks for asking. So been around Bear in a few spots (including where I live. How's Abby these days?). Closer to the flathead seems like more Griz to me.

Anyhow 3.5" at 100m has nothing to do with making the shot you describe anyway. No wonder you're overly concerned with missing!
    Perhaps in the future we will be able to have a shoot sometime, would be very fun. Don't own any D/G Rifles at the moment... Looking into a couple, shall see. No rush, I don't treat guns like cufflinks and avoid wearing a suit if I can help it, too. Lol!

Congrats on 50+! Have you now Hunted for 50+ consecutive seasons?

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    I also wonder, with your previous comments about slugs at 200 yards...?
    Sorry what was it you thought I was saying there? I remember the thread but am not sure you get the gist of what I was on about.
    I did see a review of Federal Premium's 12G Truball system and read an interesting review (that reminded me of some of your posts and yourself, bg) on that system and how it plus the harder than ordinary swaged allow and polypropylene ball makes the projectile hold together and penetrate well/better than an ordinary soft lead hollow base projectile.... Anyhow I like those slugs and shoot them often for fun. Will do that with a Snowshoe Hare Hunt (planning on using shot for the Hares) involving hiking in and out as well, very soon!

Oh yeah, 200+ yards being possible, sure there's a review and picture of a guy killed a 200#Whitetail Doe clean at a laser range finder verified 236 yards even but I am not the guy talking about it "shredding" whatever.

Also practice loading and hitting a pie plate at 20 feet in under 3 seconds. A prime grizzly can cover 30 feet in 3 seconds. It is a different lifestyle when you live among them. Winter is my favorite season because bears are asleep.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by takla1 View Post
    Up on the Prophet river We used to run a thin rope 12 inchs off the ground around our cabin wall tent and tie beer cans to it every foot or so and put rocks in them,early warning system and once that rope was tripped up youd hear it,pretty much wind proof but not trip proof.We had many bear around the tent at night over the yrs with one that pushed his nose up tight to the canvas and bit into it and my blanket right next to where I was sleeping.
    We still do this every yr out when using the wall tent

takla

beer cans while light are too bulky to be packing up into the mountains. What are you using for the pack-in trips, if anything?

I just got into backpack hunting and last time i was out I did not sleep well at all. At 3am i got woken up by the heavy breathing of a bear outside my tent and i didn't get a minute of sleep until the sun came up. .

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Also practice loading and hitting a pie plate at 20 feet in under 3 seconds. A prime grizzly can cover 30 feet in 3 seconds. It is a different lifestyle when you live among them. Winter is my favorite season because bears are asleep.
    I've received some excellent technique on loading fast from 3Gun. Look it up!

P.S. - Bears have been known to get out of their dens and take a stretch from time to time in the winter... So even then they may not necessarily be sleeping!
    Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 01-10-2017 at 11:39 PM.

I don't know if Brambles has responded to this thread as I have not read all the posts. The one thing that I remember him saying about his encounter that the dumbest thing they did was pitch the tent on the trail.
    A PacAlarm on a wide perimeter would be helpful. Early warning of pending disaster.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    I don't know if Brambles has responded to this thread as I have not read all the posts. The one thing that I remember him saying about his encounter that the dumbest thing they did was pitch the tent on the trail.
    A PacAlarm on a wide perimeter would be helpful. Early warning of pending disaster.
    an existing hiking trail or active game trail? I'm wondering if camping next to a trail people use to access the alpine is a good or bad idea. Or whether it would even make a difference if the trail is seldom used.

Quote Originally Posted by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham View Post
    I have personally been to within 10 yards on Balck Bear and I think the closest ever for me Griz was some years back in 7A at out around thirty yds-ish (did not kill, have not tried Griz Hunting yet). They didn't attack and I didin't push the issue. We were good.

I am not going to get personal here on a puplic entertainment forum so it better suffice to say that I am not unexperienced in the realm of surviving life threatening circumstance. I am not a guy who reacts quite in the way you describe. Have you tried running a few K to get your heartrate up and then shooting, like a biathalon participant? Have you looked into such techniques? I also practice hitting such targets as a Bear head at least monthly (try some Cape Buff/dangerous game charge excersises on for size, plenty fun!).

Furthermore, anyone dumb enough to act in accordance with internet advice off an Entertainment based platform without taking responsibility for their own actions is out of it on a fundamental level. We are all responsible for our own actions and like you, I have not personally had to shoot a Bear in DLP. But none the less - killing is killing. Bears are not 10'+ tall and bulletproof or some type of immortal diety.

Now bg I am here for entertainment and do not dole out advice to others per se. Do what you want but I certainly did not have that kind of physical reaction around any Bear. Furthermore I have not ever had such a reaction to life threatening stimuli to where I didn't function as you mentioned. It's actually quite fun!

Your accusations are false Sir. None the less, thanks for asking. So been around Bear in a few spots (including where I live. How's Abby these days?). Closer to the flathead seems like more Griz to me.

Anyhow 3.5" at 100m has nothing to do with making the shot you describe anyway. No wonder you're overly concerned with missing!
    Perhaps in the future we will be able to have a shoot sometime, would be very fun. Don't own any D/G Rifles at the moment... Looking into a couple, shall see. No rush, I don't treat guns like cufflinks and avoid wearing a suit if I can help it, too. Lol!

Congrats on 50+! Have you now Hunted for 50+ consecutive seasons?

I have been within ten yards of Grizzlies on three occasions, twice alone and unarmed and one with two companions and we had guns, however, this was their first Grizzly. These were August, 1974, unarmed, alone on Bulldog Lookout, out of Castlegar, BC. and 1979, at Whiteswan Lake, East Kootenays, BC, armed while elk hunting with two others. The other time was on the Muskwa River, northern BC, alone.

I have been at about a dozen Grizzly kills and have had maybe 60 encounters since I started hiking around Nelson, BC, aged 10, in spring, 1956.....saw my first Grizzly there, April, 1956.

"Cape Buff", never, have not been to Africa, so, the only ones I have seen were mounted on the walls of guys I hunted with here in BC. I am sure that a charge by one would be very stimulating, have YOU done this or is your comment derived from watching videos?

Oddly, Abby, is rather cold at the moment, but, not like the East Kootenays. "The Flathead", well, I first went there in April, 1965, on duty with the BCFS, out of RD2, Fernie Ranger District. I still remember the deep snow and mud on the old road.

I later went to the Flathead,1967 aged just 21 and spent 3 months alone on Natal Lookout, no breaks and packing my wood, water and grub, up that ridge on a TN3 packboard. I refused my relief break to allow a fellow LOman to come down twice as he had bad lungs as a result of his wounds from the 12th SS while serving in the Canadian Scottish, in Normandy.

Quite a few years later, I spent some weeks running a large silvicultural project there and lived in a small mountain tent during that time.......fun, fun, fun....

The last time I was down to "Butt's" was a few years ago, opening day and it snowed like Christmas, the night before, lovely, but, saw only a few WT does. The EK ain't what it was when I was growing up in Nelson, in the '40s and '50s, sad to say.

From the 52 seasons since I started 1964, I have hunted over 40 of them, college, work and injuries prevented doing so some years.

So, do you spend a lot of time in the Flathead, I knew several of the Barnes family in school and in the FS, I am sure you know who they were/are. I remember the pet horses that Alfie ran and what a BIG guy he was.
    Last edited by BgBlkDg; 01-11-2017 at 02:11 AM.

BTW, the 3.5" groups were from standing, freehand and I have not seen much better .375H&H shooting. So, even at 70+, bit crippled with old spinal/leg injuries, yeah, I will gladly shoot with you anytime you want. As I said, we can use my .375s and .338s and 9.3s and I have LOTS of ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Salix View Post
    Ear plugs and a light sleeping pill. Always have a good nights sleep. Years ago I would lay awake all night listening for any sound. After a few nights of that the trip is hell as I'm too tired to do anything right. Have higher odds of slipping off a steep slope when exhausted than getting attacked by a bear.
    I also sleep with a knife and rifle ready just in case. No food or scented toiletries in the tent.
    when I was in college I fought forest fires as a summer job....we camped overnight in wall tents in black bear country all the time....I actually didn't know that the sounds of the bush at night could keep people awake as it has always been the sweet lullaby sound my mind needs to totally relax...I get my best and soundest sleeps when in the bush..might have something to do with all the miles of tippy toeing through the bush tiring me out too though...heheheh