Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenting in Grizzly territory

Re: Tenting in Grizzly territory

We will be using the enclosed trailer as a cook shack this year, probably set up about 10-15 yards from our wall tent. All food and dishes, etc. will be stored inside the trailer.

I've been thinking it is safe to close and lock up the trailer at night and when gone for the day. It seals up pretty tight. Some food odour is bound to escape the roof vent but I don't think a bear would make much headway trying to break in.

Anybody disagree?
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    We will be using the enclosed trailer as a cook shack this year, probably set up about 10-15 yards from our wall tent. All food and dishes, etc. will be stored inside the trailer.

I've been thinking it is safe to close and lock up the trailer at night and when gone for the day. It seals up pretty tight. Some food odour is bound to escape the roof vent but I don't think a bear would make much headway trying to break in.

Anybody disagree?
    have you seen what they will do to cabin walls doors and windows when they really want to get in....they know they are taking a risk being in around the human smells so they are usually more tentative ...you should be alright

One thing to remember....with a well placed chunk of lead there are no repeat offenders.
    I'll stick with putting pepper on my food.

There's been a couple vehicles with the doors ripped open by black bears for a chocolate bar down here recently. Lol

ya black bears can rip the door from the frame of a truck...seen it happen..trailer and grizz...lol childs play

so unfortunately I disagree...food odors will escape...any bear wants in....he is in.

steven

reviving this thread as one can never have too many bear safety tips ..... Question: Has anyone come up with a lightweight home-made "tent fence" worth packing into the mountains? I'd love to hear whether it has worked, whether it's easily triggered by wind, weight etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 604Stalker View Post
    Food stays 20 ft from tent knife stays under the pillow rifle sleeps with me. Definitely woken up to sniffing noises on the other side of the tent before it is what it is we go in their backyard not the other way around.
    Last time this happened to me (in the EK) it was a big Cow Moose!

P.S. - Look - Beasties must know that if they mess around they're going down. Choot 'em through the face an knock the brain stem out!
    Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 01-10-2017 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Lay 'em low if ya gotsta

Quote Originally Posted by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham View Post
    Last time this happened to me (in the EK) it was a big Cow Moose!

P.S. - Look - Beasties must know that if they mess around they're going down. Choot 'em through the face an knock the brain stem out!
    For the record - Did not shoot the cow Moose, she didn't mess. Was just passing through.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    reviving this thread as one can never have too many bear safety tips ..... Question: Has anyone come up with a lightweight home-made "tent fence" worth packing into the mountains? I'd love to hear whether it has worked, whether it's easily triggered by wind, weight etc.
    Up on the Prophet river We used to run a thin rope 12 inchs off the ground around our cabin wall tent and tie beer cans to it every foot or so and put rocks in them,early warning system and once that rope was tripped up youd hear it,pretty much wind proof but not trip proof.We had many bear around the tent at night over the yrs with one that pushed his nose up tight to the canvas and bit into it and my blanket right next to where I was sleeping.
    We still do this every yr out when using the wall tent

takla
    If it don't have a throttle,tits or a trigger I'm pretty much uninterested
    Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.

Lord,

Your "advice" is NOT practical, could cause serious danger to any other novice who believes it and does not impress me as being based on actual, personal experience.

Very simply and based on field experience, hitting the often moving head of a Grizzly is VERY, VERY hard to do when under terrific stress and terrified.

I used to be a a rather "good" field shot with up to .375H&H rifles, this means five quick shots into 3.5" consistently at 100M and in front of witnesses. I regularly carried and shot CRF .338WM-250NP and .375H&H -300NP rifles/loads and shot most days when working isolated "Lookouts" for years for the BCFS and AFS.

When, as sometimes happened, I encountered a Grizzly up close on a L/O or in other bush work, while quite used to them, I would get pretty "adrenalized" and I could well miss my target. I always held for a LUNG-Aorta hit and have seen this work well on a number of Grizzlies and quite a few Blackies.

You may have more gun-bush-bear experience than I have amassed over 50+ years of bush whacking, but, I tend to doubt it and suspect that you have seldom if ever seen a Grizzly killed. I also wonder, with your previous comments about slugs at 200, etc, do you actually own and shoot a big game rifle?