Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenting in Grizzly territory

Re: Tenting in Grizzly territory

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Dogs do help..IF its the correct dog..if the dog decides to run back to his master..he will tuck in behind you or betweenyour legs for protection..he may fit..but the grizzly sure the heck wont..big diff between grizz and black bear..most blackbers shot are under 200 pounds..mostly hide and fat...grizzly is double that mostly muscle and claws..and attitude.
    Lots of outdoors guys and gals here with thousands of nights spent outdoors..we have very few problems reported..lets not over dwell on hazzards..do your best., be prepared and enjoy your r&r...

Cheers
    Steven
    Very sound advice. Lots of guys here will say you need 2 guns, infrared scopes and a pack of dogs...but its simply not true. Respect the bear, be smart, but don't be afraid. A pack alarm is a great early warning indicator, and most of the time will startle whatever trips it into bugging out, follow Srupps advice on things in your tent and you will be just fine. You don't need multiple guns, bear spray wouldn't hurt, but look at how many days and nights people are outdoors in Grizz country each year. Last year was an odd one, we had a few encounters, but generally speaking there is one or none that make the news. Theres a reason for that.

Also if you have a dog, if the dog gets mamma fired up and she chases it...I personally don't bring a dog. Ever seen that youtube video of the bears chasing the dogs and the guy is in his shed? Yeah, that didn't go well...
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    pack alarm...for the price, its awesome. I have 2!
    the dog did her job for us as a warning alarm.... we also had ropes/strings with cans tied on all around the meat pole with a 6 foot step ladder that we put a 5 gal pail full of cans on top...any pull on the strings would knock over the ladder and spill the pail of cans...we also set up the propane tree and ran it on low all night so that everything was well lit enough around the meat to shoot at night...the dog alerted us before any cans ever did

Anyone try the ACME grizzly bear blow up doll?

41/2 stars on amazon..

Lol..one spring many many years ago Betty had a laywer for a client on a spring bear hunt..I was assigned as his guide..only one problem..he didnt want to sleep in grizzly bear country...? On a grizzly hunt...
    It simply was too far to drive in..then hike in daily..Betty came up with her usual brilliant solution..6 wolf mix dogs staked out to the 4 corners of the tent..plus 2 along the edges..during the day they were leashed to stout trees .each dog weighed over 120 pounds with another 15 pounds of attitude each..lol
    The client slept like a baby..fetal position sucking his thumb..lol..he did get a grizzly..cant remember the amount of days..6..7 but the dogs slept soundly also...all was well.
    I dont like to chance anything..and take all the precautions. .even looking at tge electric fence option..however no bad situations over 35 years in grizzly country. .lol most guys I chat with on grizzlies get 2 points..how to tell a male trophy boar..and bear safety...
    Like I say we don't have any? Many encounters that involve contact at night..
    2 best videos. .hank the tank. .what a big grizzly looks like..
    And google grizzky attack at night in tent..that video will encourage bear safety although the guide didEVERYTHING right..no evidence I see of food..it still happened not too many actual grizzly attacks through a tent are caught on video..truly eye opener.
    Cheers
    Steven

The brown bear attack at night caught on video..I referenced was.." alaska big game alaska bear hunting with Gary Butch King part 1 bear attack " shootout at the ok corral with client Van Hale...
    Cheers
    Steven

11:20 minute mark.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    The brown bear attack at night caught on video..I referenced was.." alaska big game alaska bear hunting with Gary Butch King part 1 bear attack " shootout at the ok corral with client Van Hale...
    Cheers
    Steven
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Our efforts were not about protecting ourselves as much as protecting our meat (we had already lost one deer). I do not fear bears in theory but I do like to protect against their potential to be a nuscence in camp like mice squirrels or raccoons..most dogs I have ever known hate bears and bears are usually scared away by much smaller dogs than you would think....
    where I grew up we lived down a lake on an island where bears would swim to every so often.....my old dog Scrounger was a border collie husky cross and hated bears...he would almost always tree them pretty quick....

i remember one time when he sat under a tree barking for about 20 min or so ....my uncle finally got the rifle and on the way there the dog went quiet....we knew what extended barking meant......we feared the worst when the dog went silent but after uncle Brian went there the dog was ok....after taking care of the bear "old school" we noticed the dog was in a bit of distress.... We checked him over for damage but he was fine (or so we thought ) for the next 2 days the dog would not eat and was still not himself.....as we were about 20 miles down the lake from town it was a serious decision to take him to the vet...as it turned out the dog had a forked stick stuck in his throat from barking below the treed bear...that was the only damage he ever got tangling with dozens of bears over the years (these were all black bears)

Holy crap that was a cool vid....the sow with 6 cubs was unreal....I wonder if she adopted any? Has anyone ever heard of a grizz adopting Cubs?

Yeehaaaaaaaaaaawww! that camera man has steel balls! "Oh a bear wants in the tent? Hang on let me get my camera rolling for this one!"
    "Pimpin' aint easy"

Quote Originally Posted by finngun View Post
    Camp with buddy who is limping badly..so ya can outrun him
    hey wait just one minute....I limp....lmao