Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenting in Grizzly territory

Re: Tenting in Grizzly territory

Also hide any petroleum fuel tanks, propane, fuel type cylinders or anything oil product related... They love that's stuff.
    I support PETA!
    People Eating Tasty Animals!

Take bear spray and spray it it all around yer camp. Thatll do it. jk.

After losing one of deer to a griz last year we decided to run string with cans around.....we also put rope around the meat pole with a propane tree light burning on low....we put our step ladder with a 5gal pail full of cans on top and tied the ladder to the rope perimeter....the night we lost one it was raining hard and the dog had snuck into the tent to escape the rain...the cans were enough to alert the dog and every night the griz came back we got up and let off a few shotgun blasts..we also had a trail cam set up away from camp on the trail into camp...the video almost every night started with the bear causing the camera to turn on, followed by dog barking followed by shotgun blasts...the griz came back every night but 1 so it was an ongoing battle

Yes. And in two cases the alarm line was pulled several feet and pulled the trigger stick out of the alarm

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    Did the alarm scare off whatever walked into it?
    Yes.And in 2 cases the alarm was pulled several feet and pulled the trigger stick out of the alarm.

Camp with buddy who is limping badly..so ya can outrun him

I have been hunting/fishing in Grizzly country for a few years now. No problems ever. The only precaution I take is hanging the meat away from camp after the harvest.

I would have 1 of the following -Rossi Ranch Hand 44 mag, a defender loaded with hard slugs, 45/70 GG or similar. One needs a weapon that's quick & easy to handle.
    A powerful flashlight is a must. A large knife. If you believe in bear spray then leave it outside the tent.
    How about a rope circling a tent, 2 feet high with some bells.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

As everyone has mentioned, keep your food away from where you're sleeping. If you are rifle hunting, I'd have that near by. If bowhunting, make sure to have bear spray handy. I can't even count how many nights I've camped in grizz country and have only had an issue once - and it was when I was too lazy to hike my food away from my camp...
    Hunter | Hunting/Wildlife Photographer
    www.nicktrehearne.com

Food stays 20 ft from tent knife stays under the pillow rifle sleeps with me. Definetly woken up to sniffing noises on the other side of the tent before it is what it is we go in their backyard not the other way around.