Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Accompaning" On A Bear HUnt

"Accompaning" On A Bear HUnt

Son called the other day, he had been out and about looking for bear signs. Told him I'd be at the Cabin soon, look forward to seeing him then I thought "Maybe I'll join him on a bear hunt." I don't hunt bear, don't like the taste but figured it would be fun to be with him, adds another body for the grunt work and provides an extra shooter if a problem occurs.
    Had to renew my Hunter's Lisc on line which involved providing new "credentials" but I managed to work my way through it.
    Then I wondered "If I go with him, carrying a rifle but with no intent on shooting a bear, should I have a tag?"
    Hmm.
    Check the Regs. "Hunting" is defined as " …...shooting at, attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following after ……..whether or not the wildlife is then or subsequently wounded, killed …………. while in the possession of a firearm."
    Oh well, bought a bear tag.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: "Accompaning" On A Bear HUnt

Good call. .

Agree, best thing to do is to cover your butt. And for a $20 tag, pretty cheap way to avoid any issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    Son called the other day, he had been out and about looking for bear signs. Told him I'd be at the Cabin soon, look forward to seeing him then I thought "Maybe I'll join him on a bear hunt." I don't hunt bear, don't like the taste but figured it would be fun to be with him, adds another body for the grunt work and provides an extra shooter if a problem occurs.
    Had to renew my Hunter's Lisc on line which involved providing new "credentials" but I managed to work my way through it.
    Then I wondered "If I go with him, carrying a rifle but with no intent on shooting a bear, should I have a tag?"

mm.
    Check the Regs. "Hunting" is defined as " …...shooting at, attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following after ……..whether or not the wildlife is then or subsequently wounded, killed …………. while in the possession of a firearm."

no no no............

wildlife officer "are you hunting?"

you, the crusty veteran "yes, i'm hunting wolves....seen any"?

end of discussion

xo

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    Hmm.
    Now you can shoot two bears and give the meat to your son

What whognu said would be my advice.

If you want to be 100% hassle free (and be completely by the book no questions asked if a bear needs a second shot or if you shoot one in defence) then buy a tag... BUT...

The (or part of the) definition of hunting is looking for animals while in possession of a firearm while looking for animals. Just having a license, you are covered for that assuming there are other animals (that don't require tags) open, whether that be coyotes, wolves, etc.

I would buy the tag though, even if I wasn't planning on shooting a bear. In fact, I just bought a second tag already in case my brother wants me to take him out. That way if I pull a trigger, whether in defence or second shot needed, it will be on the up and up, no need to report anything, etc. I bought a cougar tag too for mostly the same reason.

I've always tried to go "by the book" and follow the rules, as does my Son.
    To do otherwise basically makes you a "poacher."
    Yes, I might shoot a bear if the occasion arises and as Bubbacanuck says, the Kid can have the meat. I'll gladly have a nice rug tho'.

Quote Originally Posted by whognu View Post
    no no no............

wildlife officer "are you hunting?"

you, the crusty veteran "yes, i'm hunting wolves....seen any"?

end of discussion

xo

This is what I would say, totally legal and no worries... IG said if he didn't he would be poaching but thats far from the truth, you said you're not shooting or hunting a bear yourself so pretty clear to me! Go enjoy!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Thumbs up Re: "Accompaning" On A Bear HUnt

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    ... In fact, I just bought a second tag already in case my brother wants me to take him out...
    Your brother is a bear?
    Does he know of your intent to "take him out"?
    Man, I'd be a tad worried if I were him...

OP - You did the right thing. I pack a handful of tags I may never need, but the cheap insurance is well worth every nickle IMHO.
    Enjoy your trip with your Lad!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    This is what I would say, totally legal and no worries... IG said if he didn't he would be poaching but thats far from the truth, you said you're not shooting or hunting a bear yourself so pretty clear to me! Go enjoy!
    My point was that if you breach any hunting regs then you are "hunting" illegally. To me, "hunting illegally", be it using another person's tag, whatever is "poaching" aka "Hunting illegally. The definition of "hunting" in the Regs is very clear, what I would be doing, i.e. tracking, looking for a bear while carrying a rifle is "hunting." The regs don't deal with intent. I don't want to be out there and a CO hassles us so the $20 tag is money well spent. And who knows, just might shoot a bear.