Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in new calibre

Interested in new calibre

Hi all,

I have always shot a 7MM rem mag and have two tikkas. Generally, I'm just hunting deer, but will occasionally get a moose. I'm looking to get a rifle that is a bit lighter shooting. I'm thinking about getting a 270, but am open to suggestions. Calibre and brand... something in the $1,000 - $1,500 price range +/-

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Interested in new calibre

I think if you’re shooting a 7mm mag now the 270 isn’t a big enough step away from your current cartridge. If you want something smaller the 6.5 creedmoor or the 25-06.. Even a 243 or 6mm creedmoor would be great.
    any of those will take deer with ease and be light recoiling rounds.
    for your price range I would just stick with tikka.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by shleebs View Post
    Hi all,

I have always shot a 7MM rem mag and have two tikkas. Generally, I'm just hunting deer, but will occasionally get a moose. I'm looking to get a rifle that is a bit lighter shooting. I'm thinking about getting a 270, but am open to suggestions. Calibre and brand... something in the $1,000 - $1,500 price range +/-

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.
    What about staying with the 7mm but going with a much lighter load? I shoot a 7mm mag and thats all i use for hunting all my game

So many choices. The 6.5 creed and 7-08 are the first to come to mind. If you want something really nice to shoot would be the 6arc or 6.5 Grendel would be fine for most deer hunting.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

The 6mm Creedmoor is an outstanding cartridge, a pleasure to shoot, excellent for long range target shooting as well as a great hunting round.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

7mm08 would be my choice

270 is a great choice. Availability of ammo today is limited and 270 win is one that seems to be available and relatively inexpensive. A look on any website for prices and stock should confirm this.

I would look at a 6.5 cm.
    Ammo is plentiful and reasonably inexpensive and is still a viable hunting round.

.243 is a little light for some hunting scenarios and the 25-06 and 7-08 are less supported with off the shelf ammo and rifles.

In today's price gouging economy good used can be hard to find in popular models and cartridges, but there are good deals out there if you step off the popularity train. Creedmoor is the standard answer the last couple of years. Id go 260, 6.5x55 or 6.5x06. In deer country probably a few of these kicking around 250-3000 or 257 Roberts. Seen several deals on these "old outdated cartridges" on here and other canadian sites I would have love to get but my space is somewhat limited.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

7-08 = harder to find good ammo options, ammo tends to be pricier
    6.5CM = low recoil, lots of ammo options, but ammo tends to be somewhat more expensive than others
    6.5x55 = a classic option but ammo is hard to find and very limited options (Hornady Superformance SSTs are excellent), ammo is expensive
    .260 REM = hard to find ammo, ammo tends to be more expensive
    and blah, blah on down the list.

.308 Win. Lots of excellent ammo options, ammo prices are good, ammo availability is usually very good, recoil is generally quite modest depending on bullet weight chosen.

Currently, a 308 is a very sensible choice for a general shooter. Not the new kid on the block by any stretch.

Otherwise get a smaller cartridge size like a .243 or a .223 and use it accordingly.

NH3
    NFA, CCFR, BCWF