Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Tenting in Grizzly territory

Re: Tenting in Grizzly territory

Haven't you guys been following the NDP? There are no Grizzlies left in BC so don't sweat it!

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    BTW, the 3.5" groups were from standing, freehand and I have not seen much better .375H&H shooting. So, even at 70+, bit crippled with old spinal/leg injuries, yeah, I will gladly shoot with you anytime you want. As I said, we can use my .375s and .338s and 9.3s and I have LOTS of ammo.
    *rescinded* Nelson is the West Kootneays, get your mind right.

*rescinded*

Oh yes, you were asking about Africa - Nope, haven't killed a Buff myself. Not opposed to it in the least yet do not have plans in that realm at this time.
    What I was on about concerning them are the techniques for practicing Dangerous Game specific marksmanship which is the kind of firearms training required to up the odds of surviving a charge from any Dangerous Wildlife, in particular a Griz that's coming in hard and fast (which, after seen Griz move about I consider an understatement as per their capabilities. They are no joke, as we all know).

A quick online search shall reveal such exercises to any and all interested parties with a connection to the interwebs. Makes for a fun time at the range, in the least!
    Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 01-17-2017 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Bg is not cool, won't shoot with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    I don't know if Brambles has responded to this thread as I have not read all the posts. The one thing that I remember him saying about his encounter that the dumbest thing they did was pitch the tent on the trail.
    A PacAlarm on a wide perimeter would be helpful. Early warning of pending disaster.

I bought a couple of them after Wayne's WT buck was taken by a grizzly. One for the camp area, one for the meat pole. Once I get serious enough about long hunts maybe charged perimeter - especially if kiddos or elderly members will be with me.
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
    I bought a couple of them after Wayne's WT buck was taken by a grizzly. One for the camp area, one for the meat pole. Once I get serious enough about long hunts maybe charged perimeter - especially if kiddos or elderly members will be with me.
    what kind How much do they weigh? Also, how much $$$ Thanks!!!.

I have seen these, not much research. But if your into backpacking it around then give it a look
    http://www.udap.com/mm5/product/BEF

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    I have seen these, not much research. But if your into backpacking it around then give it a look
    http://www.udap.com/mm5/product/BEF
    that's not that bad if you're splitting the weight with a partner. I wonder how effective this little model is. Looks pretty legit though.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    what kind How much do they weigh? Also, how much $$$ Thanks!!!.
    http://www.packalarm.net/

I purchased one last year as I solo hunt for sheep, it comes from Arizona and the ppl who manufacturer them are great to deal with, as my first one got lost in the mail, so they expedited me a second one. I think it can to around 90 bucks Canadian. And it definitely helps me sleep better at night. In my opinion, it's a worthwhile investment. It fits easily in the hip pocket of my stone glacier pack. Weight is almost nothing

Quote Originally Posted by klondiker View Post
    http://www.packalarm.net/

I purchased one last year as I solo hunt for sheep, it comes from Arizona and the ppl who manufacturer them are great to deal with, as my first one got lost in the mail, so they expedited me a second one. I think it can to around 90 bucks Canadian. And it definitely helps me sleep better at night. In my opinion, it's a worthwhile investment. It fits easily in the hip pocket of my stone glacier pack. Weight is almost nothing

That's really nice. I like this one. Very small. Not too expensive. Can you tell me more about your experience with it? How has it proven to be in the field? Does it result in a lot of false alarms if its windy outside? Do you prefer to tie it to bushes or pound stakes in the ground and tie to that? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    That's really nice. I like this one. Very small. Not too expensive. Can you tell me more about your experience with it? How has it proven to be in the field? Does it result in a lot of false alarms if its windy outside? Do you prefer to tie it to bushes or pound stakes in the ground and tie to that? Thanks!
    I used it on three hunts last fall for bighorns, simple to set-up, it comes with 4 or 5 velcro straps (about the circumference of a hockey puck) and attached is a plastic o-ring, about the size of a quarter, and it has a slit in it to allow you to slide the sensing line into it. Then all I do is find trees small enough to attach the velcro straps too, if I can't make smaller trees work, I just push some sturdy and large enough sticks into the ground and attach the straps that way.

I've never once had it triggered by wind, and it's worked great. I just disconnect the battery (it has a space inside the cover) when I'm not using it and I always carry a spare incase the battery I'm using dies. And I test the system every night before going to sleep, to make sure the battery is good to go. It's super easy to set up and can make any shape perimeter you want. I just secure it to the trees or sticks at about a 2 foot height, so it's easy to step over when you're crossing over it

Quote Originally Posted by klondiker View Post
    I used it on three hunts last fall for bighorns, simple to set-up, it comes with 4 or 5 velcro straps (about the circumference of a hockey puck) and attached is a plastic o-ring, about the size of a quarter, and it has a slit in it to allow you to slide the sensing line into it. Then all I do is find trees small enough to attach the velcro straps too, if I can't make smaller trees work, I just push some sturdy and large enough sticks into the ground and attach the straps that way.

I've never once had it triggered by wind, and it's worked great. I just disconnect the battery (it has a space inside the cover) when I'm not using it and I always carry a spare incase the battery I'm using dies. And I test the system every night before going to sleep, to make sure the battery is good to go. It's super easy to set up and can make any shape perimeter you want. I just secure it to the trees or sticks at about a 2 foot height, so it's easy to step over when you're crossing over it
    Forgot to mention that I tie flagging tape to it in the middle, so that I can see it because unless you're looking for it, you won't see it.