Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Tenting in Grizzly territory

Re: Tenting in Grizzly territory

I have four of 12-gauge trip alarms that work great! They are lighter and more compact than the perimeter alarm. If the weather is damp enough you can put 12-gauge flair shells in and point them straight up in the air for a great effect.
    I dump out the pellets and a bunch of wadding then fill the case up with black powder then put a thin overshot wad on and seal it with candle wax, makes a big flash and is much louder than a case with just the shot removed.
    MM

Quote Originally Posted by MOOSE MILK View Post
    I have four of 12-gauge trip alarms that work great! They are lighter and more compact than the perimeter alarm. If the weather is damp enough you can put 12-gauge flair shells in and point them straight up in the air for a great effect.
    I dump out the pellets and a bunch of wadding then fill the case up with black powder then put a thin overshot wad on and seal it with candle wax, makes a big flash and is much louder than a case with just the shot removed.
    MM
    how do they get tripped?

Has anyone tried leaving open cans of sardines in the tent as a repellent? My wife keeps on suggesting I do that.
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because you agree with it"
    -Abraham Lincoln

These are very effective as a deterrent option. Very loud, way beyond any 12ga shell I’ve ever used. Hearing protection is a must.

https://kodiakcanada.com/products/li...und-ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by kolofardos View Post
    Has anyone tried leaving open cans of sardines in the tent as a repellent? My wife keeps on suggesting I do that.

......probably bumped up your life insurance policy as well.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Quote Originally Posted by kolofardos View Post
    Lol!........ a few things ppl should know about tenting in griz country is that a bears' smell is 2100 times better than ours, and toothpaste smells good to them, so keep it away from your tent (I put it in a wrapped bag with my food, hung in a tree away from camp). And if you drink beer, you actually smell like fresh bread to them I've heard. Has anyone else heard these last 2 supposed facts?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Lol!........ a few things ppl should know about tenting in griz country is that a bears' smell is 2100 times better than ours, and toothpaste smells good to them, so keep it away from your tent (I put it in a wrapped bag with my food, hung in a tree away from camp). And if you drink beer, you actually smell like fresh bread to them I've heard. Has anyone else heard these last 2 supposed facts?
    Ive heard if you drink bud light you can just identify as being safe and the bears cant attack you
    - A hunter who doesn't bring home the meat is just an outdoor enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I don't think a mountain bear knows what fresh bread smells like. Who packs beer into the mountains.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

I know a few guys who drink warm beer. When I asked who the hell drinks warm beer their response was….how do you keep beer cold when your on the top of a mtn 12km from the truck.