Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenting in Grizzly territory

Hybrid View

Smile Tenting in Grizzly territory

Im going to be heading out for upwards of a week into an area with little foot traffic due to motor restrictions. There are lots of grizz in the area. For those who tent in areas like this, I would like to hear what precautionary measures you take to try to minimize grizz, or other predators, from being attracted to your camp.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tenting in Grizzly territory

I'm no expert, I sleep in my truck when solo hunting in Grizz areas, but here's a few rules to always follow regardless of area/predator.

Don't cook in camp, hang your food (including bars/dehydrated meals) 200 yards or more away, and try to camp in areas with few game trails nearby. Also, I would sleep near your rifle and have bear spray handy.
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

I am, after several years of considering it, going to buy one of the very light electric bear fences and use that around my sleeping camp. I also will buy some of the light bear alarms-think you can get these from HBC?

I really NEED to watch pack weight, due to age and injuries, but, I also want the best safety setup I can get and these will give me that when weight is considered.

Some take a spool of fishing line and some cans or bells and string the line around camp with the rattling device hanging on it. Lets call it an early warning device. Old stories talk of marking the four corners of camp with urine. Don't unload your gun at night!! I hope your not a heavy sleeper.

1 minute late.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Some take a spool of fishing line and some cans or bells and string the line around camp with the rattling device hanging on it. Lets call it an early warning device. Old stories talk of marking the four corners of camp with urine. Don't unload your gun at night!! I hope your not a heavy sleeper.

1 minute late.
    I haven't tented in super heavy griz country at all, but this is what I do, throw rocks in my metal drinkin can and tie it to the fishin line..

I like to just drink a lot. Then bam you wake up in the morning and yer all good to go...for a while anyway.

In addition to sleeping with you rifle always sleep with your knife handy so you can cut your way out of the tent if longclaw pounces on the tent!

I bought a Pack Alarm last year, but haven't used it yet
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Used my pack alarm over 50 nights now in pretty heavy griz country. Had three false triggers "2 from falling branches, 1 from wet snow". Had it set off 4 times from something walking into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Used my pack alarm over 50 nights now in pretty heavy griz country. Had three false triggers "2 from falling branches, 1 from wet snow". Had it set off 4 times from something walking into it.
    Did the alarm scare off whatever walked into it?
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever