Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortex viper pst or leupold vx-3i

Hybrid View

Vortex viper pst or leupold vx-3i

Looking on getting one of these for my 30-06

VORTEX VIPER PST 4-16X50 FFP OR LEUPOLD VX-3I 4.5-14X50MM SIDE FOCUS Bone and Crockett

Anyone had any experience with either one of those??? Pros, Cons, OR other scope suggestions....

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Vortex viper pst or leupold vx-3i

I have a Viper PST 6-24x50, and its just too much on a hunting rifle. I always bumped the external turrets when hiking, the retical is just too busy (I have the EBR-1C, you didn't specify what reticle) and heavy. Not to mention its been the most unreliable piece of crap I've ever owned. Been replaced twice, plus my brother HST just got back, and now he's having turret problems. Vortex glass just doesn't impress me. Not terrible, just nothing to write home about.
    The PST now sits on my target rig and will remain there. For target its a great scope, I like it a lot actually. For hunting, the reliability is a problem, and the PST isn't a very good hunting scope (HS-LR would be much better).
    Bottom line for me, the Viper line is a lability on a hunting rifle. Won't ever have another Viper scope on a hunting rifle.

Leopold you say??
    Im new to Leopold and am quickly becoming a fan. I bought my first leupold not long ago (VX-6 3-18x44) and I love it so far.
    Clarity is better, I notice less heat signature when shooting from the bench, lighter, better eye relief, and the colours "pop" better in the Leopold glass.

To sum it up, IMO, stay away from the Viper line-up for hunting (if your the least bit concerned about reliability, and longevity). I definitely recommend a leupold, as I'm very happy with mine.

I would also look at the Swarovski Z3 (unreal glass, best I've looked through), also incredibly light. Also check out the Ziess HD5 line. Great glass, just heavier.
    A VX-3i is a great scope also.

Erik.
    Originally posted by MEATEATER
    If anyone says blacktails there lying no one can figure them out
    Hunt Hard, Hunt safe, Eat Well.

Thanks Shooter JR, I've always had Leupolds...Thanks

Vortex you will likely have to send it in for warranty. Leupold's all the way.or Swarovski Z3

Couldn't agree more. Had to send back 2 brand new Vortex Viper scopes... Right outta the box!!!
    Originally posted by MEATEATER
    If anyone says blacktails there lying no one can figure them out
    Hunt Hard, Hunt safe, Eat Well.

Thanks Swarowski Z3 is very interesting suggestion same price range will have to go to the store and compare side by side

Ive owned many Leupolds and Vortex and currently own two Vx3i & two Vipers. Leupold will be lighter, PST is too tactical for me to put on a hunting rifle. Both are high quality and you'll be pleased with either. A FFP reticle is pretty thin for hunting in the timber on 4x, IMO
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Thanks that is a good point

WHY, would you want scopes of that size and power on a big game rifle, especially a moderate velocity model such as a .30-06?

I see no valid reason for the extra weight, bulk, cost and complexity of these and strongly recommend a smaller, lighter scope, my favourite for the .30-06 and .338WM, which have identical trajectories, is the Leupy VX3 1.75x6 HD and the VX3 2.5x8 and 3.5x10, are my other usual choices.

I have owned about 50 Leupies since my first in 1968, about 10 Zeisses, have 7 now, a couple of dozen other "name" scopes and a Swaro. Z3-3x9. I have used Zeiss, Swaro, S&B, Kahles and several other Euro. scopes belonging to buddies and I can pretty much afford any scope I want.

After all that, I still find Leupies the most useful for big game hunting and now choose them over any others. I also have about a dozen B&L scopes and like their optics, but, prefer the Leupy eyebox and lighter weight.

I do use scopes with 50mm objectives, but, only on specific rifles used for certain types of hunting and am not convinced that they really DO make much difference over my 36 and 40MM types.

Just some options, MHO, HTH.

I had VX2 3-9x40 on my 30-06, and was looking to upgrade, and have it for next rifle up size as well