Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Mystery Ranch Marshall or Metcalf?

2016 Mystery Ranch Marshall or Metcalf?

Looking at these two bags, and undecided which one to go with. It will be used as an all purpose bag, from day hunts up to week long hunts (maybe longer eventually but not for the foreseeable future). The Metcalf is advertised as the all purpose bag, but I just wonder if I could get away with using the Marshall as a day pack and have the extra storage room for the longer hikes. I really like the extra external pockets on the Marshall. Anyone out there have any input? Thanks a lot in advance!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2016 Mystery Ranch Marshall or Metcalf?

The Marshall is a little bulky for a day pack and the metcalf is tough for more than 5 days (it can be done but you have to be a little creative).

I own a 6500 and a metcalf (one of my friends has a Marshall) and they're all great bags but if I were doing it again from the start I would be tempted to look at the stone glacier 7400.
    Last edited by kebes; 07-05-2016 at 01:14 PM.

I'd go with the marshall. Although it might be a bit bulky with the extra size, you can still compress the bag fairly small so it can be used as a day pack. If you're only in the market for one, you'd be better off to have the big one and not utilize all the space rather than having the metcalf and coming up short on space.
    Hunter | Hunting/Wildlife Photographer
    www.nicktrehearne.com

I would go Marshall all the way. I just got mine and its killer. I will be using it mostly for a day pack. But it will hold a bunch too. Keep ur eye on camo Fire I picked mine up for 330 Canadian brand new. Great price

Quote Originally Posted by 460s&w View Post
    I would go Marshall all the way. I just got mine and its killer. I will be using it mostly for a day pack. But it will hold a bunch too. Keep ur eye on camo Fire I picked mine up for 330 Canadian brand new. Great price
    This ^ However it is on camofire today for 350 us

The bottom compartment on the marshall can be completely tucked up by the straps so you dont even know its there in day pack mode, and suck the side compression straps tight and its a pretty compact pact..but a little heavy for a day pack

If you are looking for a bag do consider a stone glacier. My sky 6200 compresses down smaller than the metcalf and has more room than the marshall (with load shelf) plus lighter than both of them...

I used to have a MR 6500 and a metcalf, now I just have one bag.

I just bought a new Metcalf on the new "guide light" frame. I used it on a goat scout on the long week end and found it really comfortable. It weighs exactly 6 lb on my scale. Some exterior pockets would be nice so I'm going to see if I can adapt something. I looked at stone glacier, seek outside, and arcteryx, but it was a 4 - 6 week wait for all of them. The only Metcalf I found in bc in large was at Nechako in Vanderhoof and it was also the best price

Quote Originally Posted by argyle1 View Post
    I just bought a new Metcalf on the new "guide light" frame. I used it on a goat scout on the long week end and found it really comfortable. It weighs exactly 6 lb on my scale. Some exterior pockets would be nice so I'm going to see if I can adapt something. I looked at stone glacier, seek outside, and arcteryx, but it was a 4 - 6 week wait for all of them. The only Metcalf I found in bc in large was at Nechako in Vanderhoof and it was also the best price

Great at to hear it was comfortable! I was actually able to get my hands on both the other day and am going to go with the Marshall.. It's an amazing pack! I was able to compress it way down and i think it will be a fantastic day pack. It's on the heavier side for a day pack, but I'm still young enough I figure I can handle it. The Metcalf looks like an amazing bag too, but just wasn't what I am looking for. Now just need to find a large foliage!

Thanks for all the input everyone! It was greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by argyle1 View Post
    My metcalf is one of the first gen and I found it terribly uncomfortable until I put the lift kit on it... The new ones fix that issue? Or maybe it was just me