Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tuna fishing on vancouver island

Re: Tuna fishing on vancouver island

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    Check out Murphy's Sportfishing when they are in Kyuquot. End of Aug - early Sept they catch them anywhere from 10 to 50 miles (or km, I can't remember) out. They usually combine with salmon, hali, ling, etc. Weather has to be nice enough to go to the far places. I'm going with them this year and hoping for good weather.
    I'd pick reel obsession sportfishing first, but I'm a bit biased since I'm friends with Adrian. Best guide on the westside bar none...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Re: Tuna fishing on vancouver island

Quote Originally Posted by steve-r View Post
    Another vote for Westport. Been 3 times.
    Did the 2 night trip on the Tornado labour day weekend. $600 usd plus tip and processing.
    Left the dock at 8pm, motored out 45 miles and started fishing at daybreak.
    The skipper trolled until we hit a fish, then the excitement happened. If youve ever been in on a bait-stop with live anchovy you know what I mean. If not, look for a youtube on it.
    10 guys all hooked up at the same time. . Lines crossed, fish circling the boat. Its a full workout.
    Take a break when the Blue sharks show up with all the blood in the water. Then re-locate the school and do it again.
    We sat on a school all day. 10 guys boated 270 Albacore, avg 15-25lbs, done by 4pm. Ended up 60 miles out and then headed back to port. Woke up at the dock at 6am, unloaded, and headed home.
    We took 3 pickups, each carrying a commercial fish tote full of ice from a fish processor in Ladner.
    We brought home the tuna in the round, took it to a processor in Richmond who flash froze it to -40 for a couple weeks, ( sushi grade!!!) then he processed the loins with a commercial band saw system, and vacuum sealed each loin. Looking forward to doing it again.
    Pretty much what my boys did last year, I couldn't make cause passport bs but I received 8 fish worth in loin form. Better n salmon imo. $550 iirc for 1.5 days fishin. cheep as shit really...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..