Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: favorite slow cooker deer or bear roast recipe ?

Re: favorite slow cooker deer or bear roast recipe ?

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    I made a killer venison stew recently, with a large roast from a mule deer buck.

1. Diced up a whole roast into chunks, seasoned the meat and coated in flour and browned the meat in a pan to get lots of good colour.
    2. Remove meat, and cook onion, garlic, leeks and carrots in the pan (with all the "fond" from the browned meat etc)
    3. Add a few tablespoons of tomato paste to coat the veggies
    4. Add meat back in and cover with some good stock (I used some homemade lamb bone stock) and red wine (2 cups)
    5. Add a bay leaf or two and some rosemary from the garden.
    6. Simmer for 6 hours or so on a very low heat, and add some more veggies in the last hour of cooking (I cooked it in a cast iron crock pot in the oven at 285 degrees).

Meat was falling apart and tender, the sauce was well thickened with the flour and very rich, and the veggies were perfectly cooked.

Honestly one of the best slow booked meals I have ever made (and I love slow cooked meals).
    Not clear if you simmered on stove top in frying pan then an hour in the crock pot in the oven or all six hrs in oven
    Resident hunter and proud of it!

if your going out all day and want to put on around 8 am for dinner around 5 or 6 leave frozen
    otherwise thaw and put on around 10 or 11
    moose or deer roast
    1 1/2 cup water
    2 tablespoons soya sauce
    salt & pepper
    1 large onion peeled and cut in half
    drain and thicken juice with cornstarch
    turns the toughest roast into delicious fall apart tender
    enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by bridger View Post
    Not clear if you simmered on stove top in frying pan then an hour in the crock pot in the oven or all six hrs in oven

Sorry, got everything started on the stove top and then once the stock etc was in and simmering I transfer to the oven on a low heat to cook for 6hrs

Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    Do you use one of the circulator/water heaters or just try and keep things regulated with a burner? The videos iv seen with people using the stove top make it appear like a pain. I'm just trying to justify buying one of the darn things. Have you made anything other than the grouse this way?
    I did that at first but got tired of it quickly. Got a Dorkfood DSV but found it to be not up to my standards so then got an Anova PC and it's been awesome. I've used it for everything from steaks to eggs to ice cream to creme brûlée. Short ribs for 72 hours are phenomenal.

New twist. V H Honey and garlic sauce in the crock pot and just add any meat. Slow cook from 11am till supper. Small pieces is best. Chicken today. I add extra garlic powder and extra salt. Works with browned bear meat balls too.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Deer shanks in stock in a crock pot - cooked all day. Hmmmnnn, so good. Deer roast, I'd rather have medium rare. Deer stakes are best rare. Cast iron pan, super hot in oil. Just before its done, throw some red wine and watch it boil away leaving a beautiful glaze on the meat. Love cooking meat or fish the way it demands to be cooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    Deer shanks in stock in a crock pot - cooked all day. Hmmmnnn, so good. Deer roast, I'd rather have medium rare. Deer stakes are best rare. Cast iron pan, super hot in oil. Just before its done, throw some red wine and watch it boil away leaving a beautiful glaze on the meat. Love cooking meat or fish the way it demands to be cooked.

Did the same with last falls buck, had our meat cutter do the front legs same as lamb shanks, slow cooker using a lamb shank recipe. It was incredible.
    Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

I have the same issue as some with my game meat coming out dry in the slow cooker so generally l'll dump some bbq sauce in once done and pull it apart for pulled venison or moose etc

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Slow cooker and game meat sucks. Haven't had one thing yet I've liked. Dry Dry Dry is all I ever get. But if you're into saw dust, fly at er. Game meat is best cooked medium rare, where it still has some moisture left in it.
    Hit nail on head . Slow cooker is nothing more than boiled meat. Oven and meat thermometer do game meat justic
    wonder what’s over the next hill?