Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: favorite slow cooker deer or bear roast recipe ?

favorite slow cooker deer or bear roast recipe ?

Hey guys I've been trying new recipes for my deer and bear roast. The meat has turned out great and it's a great way to have fantastic dinners when the wife and I both work during the day. I'd like to try some new recipes for the slow cooker . Any ideas or favorite's?
    Lord let me come home bloody, not my own.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: favorite slow cooker deer or bear roast recipe ?

4 -5lb bear roast, 1 large onion on bottom, 1/2tsp salt, 1/2tsp pepper, 4 cloves of garlic, 1/2 liter of beef broth. cook from frozen from 7 am till 5 pm.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Made a deer roast two nights ago doing basically the same as the above post. Excellent.

Really just experiment with different ingredients, I don't think it's possible to be disssapointed by anything coming out of a slow cooker. Next step is getting one of those anova immersion circulators to try "sous vide" looks like a guy can really make some kick ass meals.

Slow cooker and game meat sucks. Haven't had one thing yet I've liked. Dry Dry Dry is all I ever get. But if you're into saw dust, fly at er. Game meat is best cooked medium rare, where it still has some moisture left in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Slow cooker and game meat sucks. Haven't had one thing yet I've liked. Dry Dry Dry is all I ever get. But if you're into saw dust, fly at er. Game meat is best cooked medium rare, where it still has some moisture left in it.
    My slow cooker has a hole in the lid for a meat thermometer. Easy enough to pull it at your desired temp.

Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    Made a deer roast two nights ago doing basically the same as the above post. Excellent.

Really just experiment with different ingredients, I don't think it's possible to be disssapointed by anything coming out of a slow cooker. Next step is getting one of those anova immersion circulators to try "sous vide" looks like a guy can really make some kick ass meals.
    Sous vide is where it's at for just about everything. Did grouse that way and it was perfect (although I'd accidentally salted the crap out of it because I forgot that I brined it, too...woops).

Slow cookers can be disappointing. At least ours always left us disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    Sous vide is where it's at for just about everything. Did grouse that way and it was perfect (although I'd accidentally salted the crap out of it because I forgot that I brined it, too...woops).

Slow cookers can be disappointing. At least ours always left us disappointed.
    Do you use one of the circulator/water heaters or just try and keep things regulated with a burner? The videos iv seen with people using the stove top make it appear like a pain. I'm just trying to justify buying one of the darn things. Have you made anything other than the grouse this way?

I made a killer venison stew recently, with a large roast from a mule deer buck.

1. Diced up a whole roast into chunks, seasoned the meat and coated in flour and browned the meat in a pan to get lots of good colour.
    2. Remove meat, and cook onion, garlic, leeks and carrots in the pan (with all the "fond" from the browned meat etc)
    3. Add a few tablespoons of tomato paste to coat the veggies
    4. Add meat back in and cover with some good stock (I used some homemade lamb bone stock) and red wine (2 cups)
    5. Add a bay leaf or two and some rosemary from the garden.
    6. Simmer for 6 hours or so on a very low heat, and add some more veggies in the last hour of cooking (I cooked it in a cast iron crock pot in the oven at 285 degrees).

Meat was falling apart and tender, the sauce was well thickened with the flour and very rich, and the veggies were perfectly cooked.

Honestly one of the best slow booked meals I have ever made (and I love slow cooked meals).

Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    Do you use one of the circulator/water heaters or just try and keep things regulated with a burner? The videos iv seen with people using the stove top make it appear like a pain. I'm just trying to justify buying one of the darn things. Have you made anything other than the grouse this way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INzdlHVewUo

I use a pressure cooker for some wild game roasts. After browning the meat I add salt, pepper, onion, garlic and a can of beer for liquid. 30 to 45 minutes is all it takes.