Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: favorite slow cooker deer or bear roast recipe ?

Re: favorite slow cooker deer or bear roast recipe ?

Quote Originally Posted by dougan View Post
    Hit nail on head . Slow cooker is nothing more than boiled meat. Oven and meat thermometer do game meat justic
    Do you find the same thing when cooking other meats, or just game meat? The lean nature of game meat makes its harder to cook, but I find getting color by searing in a hot pan before going into the slow cooker makes a real difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    Do you find the same thing when cooking other meats, or just game meat? The lean nature of game meat makes its harder to cook, but I find getting color by searing in a hot pan before going into the slow cooker makes a real difference.
    Yes I'm a meat snob beef pork and whatnot are better cooked in the oven in my opinion . Just my opinion tho
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

My wife has done lots of roast in the slow cooker and they all turned out great. Never had a dry one yet. Are people forgetting the water or broth in with the roast or not put in enough in?
    Lord let me come home bloody, not my own.

I prefer to cook my roast and steaks on high heat and very fast. Pull them out at rare to medium rare and let them sit for 5 minutes. I find the meat is tender this way. I have never had good luck with a slow cooker. There is just not enough fat in wild game for this type of cooking.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member