Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meat coolers and accommodation in 5-12

Re: Meat coolers and accommodation in 5-12

don't overthink it. go camping, go hunting, if you are successful hang it in the bush, it will be fine. good luck!

Well after we drop it off at the butcher it takes a couple weeks to get it cut up and any sausage, jerky, etc. made so if we were to have taken it to a butcher closer to 5-12 we would have had to go home and drive all the way back, like thousand plus kilometers to pick it up. You can get it butchered anywhere and transport it without issue. Just can't sell game meat. Give it as gifts to friends and family. Keep records if you have any antlers or taxedermy. Once a it is packaged meat then you don't need proof of sex anymore or species anymore.

I believe AC Christensen's will hang meat ... in Anahim Lk. If they have room.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knee Deep in the Hoopla

Quote Originally Posted by panhead View Post
    I believe AC Christensen's will hang meat ... in Anahim Lk. If they have room.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knee Deep in the Hoopla
    Can anyone confirm or deny this? I'll make a call during business hours tomorrow if theres mo answer here.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPdHJ View Post
    Whoops, I missed the whole point of this. No, we called every butcher on the list on HBC and none would hang out meat without getting the cutting business. We wanted to hang it in a cooler while meeting the wives and families for thanksgiving before going back home. We ended up having to drive down to the lower mainland to our butcher before driving back up to the cabin for thanksgiving. It was 20 degrees last October the day I dropped my moose. But that night it went down to about 2 degrees. We hung it in the shade and it cooled nicely and the nights were cool and the daytime only went up to about 12 degrees. We talked to our butcher and he said as long as it is cooled properly it should be fine to hang in the shade near a cool lake for quite a while. We still decided rather than to leave it for the long weekend in 20 degree heat that we'd drive home and drop it off at our butcher.
    That was a smart move, taking it into the butchers. IF you have to hang it in warmer weather....quarter the animal, split the neck meat to let the heat out, split the hinds to let the heat out, keep it in the shade. And cover the meat with game bags to keep the fly's off it. IMHO it's better to take it into a local meat cutter, and come back for the meat after it's processed. You don't have to worry about it getting bone sour, you don't have to worry about bears getting at it, you don't have to worry about maggots from the fly's laying eggs on it, and you don't have to worry about it being stolen. And I've hunted moose in August for at least 25 seasons.